4 wheel drive problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please help!

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

D3COY

4 wheel drive problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please help!

Postby D3COY » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:07 pm

My 4 wheel drive works, but when i want to take it out of 4 wheel drive, i have to put it into reverse and drive backwards and put it back into 2w. is there anyway to fix this so i can throw it back into 2w while going forward????

Thanks for the help!

keg

Postby keg » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:44 pm

I found on my '96 that it sticks in 4x4 as well. If I stop and turn the steering wheel to one side it will disengage. Otherwise I wait for a sharp turn to go around :)

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:16 am

change your transfer case oil...

dieselfan

Postby dieselfan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:19 am

This normal for all 4x4's. The hubs are locked and under torque, reversing and forwards "loosens" them. Toyota, Nissan even R51's do this.

You can lock the hubs more often (monthly) ie it greases them and makes the unlocking smoother.

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:19 am

dieselfan wrote:This normal for all 4x4's. The hubs are locked and under torque, reversing and forwards "loosens" them. Toyota, Nissan even R51's do this.

You can lock the hubs more often (monthly) ie it greases them and makes the unlocking smoother.
What are you talking about ! ?! There is no manual hubs on nissan r50! and on any r50 platform 96-04 the front are always locked..there is no auto hubs either !... The load is given or not by the transfer case. When in 2wd the shaft and driveshaft (front) all turn but just do not have load on them...

this is definitely not normal for nissan r50.
S.

dieselfan

Postby dieselfan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:13 pm

Interesting...can you explain in a bit more detail how the 4x4 - > 4x2 engages? Haven't seen many or actually any 4x4s that work this way. All our local 4x4's engage disengage via hubs. 8) We never got the R50.

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:39 pm

it's all in the fsm....

r50 have drive flange hooked up directly to the wheel hub. They also have an tx10a or atx14a transfer case wich enables to pass on 4hi while rolling and to get back on 2hi again without stopping. Because of this, the front assembly (including the driveshaft and half-shafts) always turn, even on 2wd. When engaged in 4hi, the transfer case locks the front and the back therefore sending load on the front driveshaft...

Now back to the original post, most people never change their transfer case oil, either back of knowledge or lazyness. This symptom of having to back out in order to go back in 2wd is typical of very dirty oil which prevents the gears in the transfer case to slide easily...

And what troubles me the most is why would you give an affirmation like this if you never got an r50 ??? I think there is a difference between saying 'I think it's normal' and saying 'yeah, no problem, it's normal i'm certain'

But it;s ok, i'm sure you did not do this intentionally and just wanted to help.

dieselfan

Postby dieselfan » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:07 pm

fleurys wrote: Now back to the original post, most people never change their transfer case oil, either back of knowledge or lazyness. This symptom of having to back out in order to go back in 2wd is typical of very dirty oil which prevents the gears in the transfer case to slide easily...
Will keep this in mind as if happens VERY often to our 4x4's from any of the brands. Would the Nissan Terrano have worked this way too? It also allowed 4x4 - > 4x2 - > 4x4 without stopping.
fleurys wrote: And what troubles me the most is why would you give an affirmation like this if you never got an r50 ??? I think there is a difference between saying 'I think it's normal' and saying 'yeah, no problem, it's normal i'm certain'
It shouldn't trouble you as most people can NEVER be certain on a forum of a diagnosis. My Terrano's front shafts used to turn even in 4x2 does that mean it works like an R50 Pathfinder?
fleurys wrote: But it;s ok, i'm sure you did not do this intentionally and just wanted to help.
And learn 8)

talonator

bad hub.

Postby talonator » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:59 pm

so i was having some issues with hub not wanting to disengage/engage. i checked my transfer case oil, and it is clean, but it seems my hub wont disengage, it works fine in 4w but not in first, should i just replace the hub or is there a way to fix it??

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”