compass and temp display is not working

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

TmacisN11

compass and temp display is not working

Postby TmacisN11 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:22 pm

I have a 98 pathfinder and my temp and compass display isnt working and hasnt been since I bought it a couple weeks ago. Is there a common fix to these, such as soldering something or any simple fix. Im sure this has happened to many people. Any help is greatly appreciated

fleurys

Re: compass and temp display is not working

Postby fleurys » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:28 pm

TmacisN11 wrote:I have a 98 pathfinder and my temp and compass display isnt working and hasnt been since I bought it a couple weeks ago. Is there a common fix to these, such as soldering something or any simple fix. Im sure this has happened to many people. Any help is greatly appreciated
can you be a little more precise as to what it is doing (no display, wrong temp, weird display, etc...)

what happen when you press the button next to the display ??

TmacisN11

Postby TmacisN11 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:37 pm

fleurys wrote:
TmacisN11 wrote:I have a 98 pathfinder and my temp and compass display isnt working and hasnt been since I bought it a couple weeks ago. Is there a common fix to these, such as soldering something or any simple fix. Im sure this has happened to many people. Any help is greatly appreciated
can you be a little more precise as to what it is doing (no display, wrong temp, weird display, etc...)

it wont display at all its just black, the button next to the display.... do you mean the mode button? If you are when i press it, hold it, etc doesnt do anything

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:04 am

TmacisN11 wrote:
fleurys wrote:

it wont display at all its just black, the button next to the display.... do you mean the mode button? If you are when i press it, hold it, etc doesnt do anything

When there is no display at all, then it must be something easy to find like a bad or no ground or a fuse... Here's what I have found in the fsm.

TmacisN11

Postby TmacisN11 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:59 pm

I checked the fuse on no.9 and it is ok, thinking its a ground issue...that being said where is the ground circuit for the compass and thermometer located? Do I need to take down the compass/thermometer and use a voltmeter on it?

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:24 am

TmacisN11 wrote:I checked the fuse on no.9 and it is ok, thinking its a ground issue...that being said where is the ground circuit for the compass and thermometer located? Do I need to take down the compass/thermometer and use a voltmeter on it?
Yes, at one point you will have no choice but to open the compass assembly.

one easy way to see if it is the ground is to tie down a wire on the neg of your battery and bring the other end to the compass and plug it where the regular ground would be..just touch it... if the compass comes back to life, you know it's that... if not you need to change the compass...

If it is the ground, then you can then work on bringing another ground to it or searching the issue of the current non functionning ground.

also make sure to test if voltage is coming to the compass once you have opened the assembly...

TmacisN11

Postby TmacisN11 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:06 pm

ok so what color wire is ground and power for the harness that connects into the compass/temp display unit that is in the upper console?

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:59 pm

TmacisN11 wrote:ok so what color wire is ground and power for the harness that connects into the compass/temp display unit that is in the upper console?
according to the wiring diagram I posted for you, follow like this:

1) the connector on the compass assembly is R4
2) The R4 plug is showed at the bottom.
3) again looking at the wiring diagram, the power's color is G/R (probably means Green/red), but the real usefull info is the wire number to the R4 connector...which is 7 .. So the power connects to the 7th position on the connector
4) the ground connects to position 2 which colors isaid as being B (usually black)..

I gave you everything to troubleshoot this....

S.

TmacisN11

Postby TmacisN11 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:02 pm

you did and thanks, some people arent used to reading wiring diagrams so you gotta be patient with me. ok

Albah

Postby Albah » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:02 pm

Came across this post, had to make an account.

I just picked up a 98 Pathfinder a few weeks ago. It's been awesome thus far! The compass/temp wasn't working when I first picked it up. I replaced one of the bulbs in the mirror and it started to work again. Sure enough I was driving around this morning and it went out. Bulbs are both okay, Fuse is okay.

I'm going to try the ground wire. If that doesn't work I'll head to the junk yard for a replacement.

Clobysavage

Postby Clobysavage » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:44 pm

So I have a 98 chillkoot and the mirror never worked every one I got from wreckers would pop(about 4or5 of them) checked for ground falts checked all the wiring and finally say Fack it and put in the overhead from a 99 le. It was a bit of work and a different process then any other trim of the pathfinder I could find. If people want I'll do a post of photos of added wires where to tie them in and what the chillkoot harness has for wires. Now on a side note every mirror compass/ temp wiring harness I saw in a chillkoot appears to be missing the speed sensor wire and the remote/acc power wires. Thinking about it now you could probably fix the harness in the chillkoot by adding the missing wires. If people want the post I will show you what I mean whit the chillkoot "missing wires"

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”