Anyone else having Tire Pressure Monitoring System problems?

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:00 am

My '06 has 34K miles on it (getting to the end of warrenty) and has started having tire pressure light problems.

About 10K miles ago, in the summer, the light came after driving about 150 miles on the highway that day -- I pulled over and pressues were fine. Light went off later that day.

Last week my light started flashing (then stayed on) so I checked the tires. It had gotten colder, so they were down to about 33-34psi (from 37-38). I bumped them up. Light was still on. I dropped the spare and checked it, it was at about 35, so I brought it up to 45. Light still on.

Dealer had to re-set all of the monitors under warrenty.

Light came on again today, after I was about 5 miles down the road from home. It's a cold morning (mid 20's) but the tire pressues were still above 35psi when I got to my office today.

Anyone else having monitor problems?

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:07 am

Definitly sounds like you're having an issue of some sort there. Any way the Nissan dealer can see which sensor is causing the issue?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:48 am

I guess that answers my question of having sensors on all 4 wheels. One of my stock crap tires has a small leak, and the sensor lights up about once every 3 weeks. As soon as I fill it up, the light goes off. Since my tires were rotated a few weeks ago, I have yet to have the light come on, which made me wonder about having the sensors on all 4 wheels.

I've also noticed the sensors are very picky, which pretty much sounds like every vehicle out there with these things. Have you tried bumping up each tire by a couple of PSI?

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:15 am

I am about to drive about 200 miles round trip to see some clients (last trip before I take a month off!! ). I'll pop the Grabbers up to about 42psi and see if it eventually goes off before I leave.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:53 pm

I just had a similar issue, 34k on my '05. TPMS went on when the temp dropped, I topped off the tires and it took about 100 miles to go off. I was taking the truck in to the dealer for another reason anyway (main window switch on driver's door would put the rear windows down but not up, but that's another story), so I purposely deflated one tire, drove it to activate TPMS, then put it back up to 33 PSI. ~ 55 mi later, at the dealer, it still had not gone off.

Nissan said they just reprogrammed the sensors, and I haven't had any trouble since. I did test it, and it went right off after reinflating to the proper pressure.

It's only been a week since that, so I can't say if it was a long term fix.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:35 am

I too have experienced the issue. On October 19th, approx 9pm it happened on the Turnpike (only know the date and time because I have to write down my trips down in my calendar with reminders or else I'll forget when to go :-/ ) as I was driving. Saw the dash light flashing, flipped over to the monitor and yup, one sensor not reporting. Made me nervous as hell but I had just topped off all tires to 50psi the day prior while getting ready for that particular trip and nothing felt out of the ordinary. Light went off and sensor started responding before I could get to the next Service Area so sub-21 miles.

06 LE, sub-6,500 miles, BFG over-sized tires @ 50psi, and at the time traveling in the range of 65-70mph max with no cargo to speak of.

Rant: would be nice if the sensor visual lay out in the dash was in a two by two layout as opposed to in a line so I could at-least know which side of the vehicle the tpms was alerting on at a glance. Would be really nice if the vehicle had some way of auto-determining what corner the sensor was on also so that if the tires were rotated front to back or a tire shop swapped sides while replacing tires it wouldn't mix it all up. I had laid it all out once by dropping psi, writing down which one alerted on screen, repeat, but that's a pain.

Marc89GTi

Postby Marc89GTi » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:44 am

I too have had some problems with our 07 LE Pathfinder. My wife went on a trip about 400km each way and the TPMS light came on a few time during the trip, then the light would go out about 15minutes later. I checked all of the tire before she left, there were all at 35psi.

Going to the dealer in a couple of weeks so will get them to check it out.

Tillyboat

Postby Tillyboat » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:12 pm

I have recently had a similar problem as well on my 2006. I went on a short drive on the highway and had some ice build up in the rims. As soon as I hit around 65 mph, it would start to jiggle. Of course I tried to clear the ice out, got most of it. There was just a little bit remaining in the rear passenger side, but the jiggle wasn't that noticeable so I continued the drive about 70 miles. During that trip, the flashing TPMS light came on once and stayed on for a few minutes. On the way back from the 70 miles, it didn't do it once, so I thought nothing of it. During all of this time, the tire pressures were around 35psi.

A week later I went on another road trip, this time a much longer one, no ice at all in the rims. I would say, during the five hour drive to my destination, the flashing TPMS light came on four times. It would come on and stay solid for a few minutes, then turn off. Again it did this twice on the way back, to the halfway point. But during the last three hours back, it didn't come on at all, but instead the "service engine soon," light came on and hasn't turned off since. There was and is no lack of power, everything seems fine, but that bright amber light in your face does the job well. Making you notice it.

I am wondering what are your opinions.
-Would driving on an unbalanced wheel set off the flashes?
-Maybe the really, really cold weather?
-Maybe the flashes shut off(cause I didn't balance the wheels?), and now the "service engine soon" light is on instead?
-Think maybe I wrecked the TPMS?

Otherwise, the vehicle is awesome. That all-wheel mode is awesome. Travelled back through a blizzard. Just sticks you to the road when everyone else is going slow.

Have a good day everyone.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:12 am

Tillyboat wrote: I am wondering what are your opinions.
-Would driving on an unbalanced wheel set off the flashes?
-Maybe the really, really cold weather?
-Maybe the flashes shut off(cause I didn't balance the wheels?), and now the "service engine soon" light is on instead?
-Think maybe I wrecked the TPMS?
1. Seriously doubt but with electronics you never know.
2. Very possible. Although I didn't see any problems during last years winter
3. Doubtful but possible I suppose. Have the ecm scanned somewhere and pull the codes. Not sure about up your way but down here several places will pull and clear them for free.
4. Again, doubtful. These components are all electronic and non-mechanical. While violent shaking could damage an individual tpms I don't see how it could affect the receiver which could potentially throw a code.

Seeing as many people are having some sort of issue with the system I'm inclined to believe you didn't do any damage and there is some other underlying issue. Maybe a bad batch of batteries, component, ?

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:02 am

Still driving around at 40PSI -- light is still on.

I'm about to go on a trip, so I'll deal with it (at the dealer) when I get back in a couple of weeks.

Marc89GTi

Postby Marc89GTi » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:00 am

I recently took my Pathfinder to the dealer, turns out one of my sensors is faulty. The funny thing is that I would have expected the little light to come on and stay on, but it remains out. The service manager told me that he put winter tires onto his nissan vehicle and it took three weeks for the little light to come on.

GoodNeighborGirl

TPMS replacement sensors reset answer

Postby GoodNeighborGirl » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:05 am

Hello All,
I just thought I would share my story since the first vehicles originally equipped with TPMS are probably now having issues with the sensors in the tires. I have a 2006 Pathfinder. The TPMS sensors in the tires have a battery in them which lasts 6 years. Mine lasted 8. I had Discount Tire replace all the sensors in the tires for about $60 each. Since the replacement of the sensors, the TPMS light would illuminate about every three weeks. Upon turning the ignition, the light would blink, then stay steady. I took it back to Discount Tire about ten times in the past 9 months. They would check the sensors with a handheld computer to verify the sensors were emitting a signal then reset/turn off the warning light, only for it to go back on in a few weeks. I've read other blogs where people were quoted $800 to replace the TPMS computer system when this happened. So I called a Nissan dealership and talked with a service rep. When you replace the original sensors in your tires, your vehicle needs to be recalibrated to those sensors. It doesn't automatically recognize the signals from those new sensors. $57 to recalibrate and a free car wash, and I was out the door! So far, the light has not come back on, so I think this was the trick. The guys at Discount Tire need to know this so they can advise their clients to return to the dealership to recalibrate so this works properly!!!!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:21 pm

It's not so much a calibration as an ID registration of the sensors. You don't necessarily have to return to a dealer as many tire shops and some independent auto repair shops have the equipment to do this. It can also be done manually grounding the TPMS diagnostic connector, located by the OBD II connector, and specific adjustment of the tire pressures (36-33-30-27 psi) and driving the vehicle for about 5 minutes. I covered the procedure in another thread.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”