Engine noise upon acceleration

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

jlwardn

Engine noise upon acceleration

Postby jlwardn » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:49 pm

I just bought a 2005 with 98,000 miles on it. When I accelerate I normally I get a noise that kind of sounds like a (quiet) diesel engine. It is cold here in Michigan so I can't verify if it does it when it is warm. I am not accelerating hard. It happens under normal acceleration. I am coming from a 2002 with the 3.5L engine and with 130,000 miles it still sounds like it is brand new. I have been around many of these 4.0L engines when they are new and they do not have this diesel sound. I just bought this Patfhinder and it has a New Transmission and Radiator Bypass. I took it to the dealer for inspection before buying it and all they told me was I will need spark plugs at 105K and they recommended a throttle body cleaning. They also did a recall that just came out....I think ECM something.
Any thoughts on the noise???

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Engine noise upon acceleration

Postby disallow » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:07 pm

jlwardn wrote:I just bought a 2005 with 98,000 miles on it. When I accelerate I normally I get a noise that kind of sounds like a (quiet) diesel engine. It is cold here in Michigan so I can't verify if it does it when it is warm. I am not accelerating hard. It happens under normal acceleration. I am coming from a 2002 with the 3.5L engine and with 130,000 miles it still sounds like it is brand new. I have been around many of these 4.0L engines when they are new and they do not have this diesel sound. I just bought this Patfhinder and it has a New Transmission and Radiator Bypass. I took it to the dealer for inspection before buying it and all they told me was I will need spark plugs at 105K and they recommended a throttle body cleaning. They also did a recall that just came out....I think ECM something.
The engine does have a bit of a throaty mid-range... is it accelerating properly or surging?

What kind of fuel are you running? Any check engine lights? Funny smells?

t

coom1986

Postby coom1986 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:40 pm

By diesel engine do you mean your hearing a rough engine while generally moving or are you hearing a whine like sound??

Npath

Postby Npath » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:23 am

jlwardn wrote:I just bought a 2005 with 98,000 miles on it. When I accelerate I normally I get a noise that kind of sounds like a (quiet) diesel engine. It is cold here in Michigan so I can't verify if it does it when it is warm. I am not accelerating hard. It happens under normal acceleration. I am coming from a 2002 with the 3.5L engine and with 130,000 miles it still sounds like it is brand new. I have been around many of these 4.0L engines when they are new and they do not have this diesel sound. I just bought this Patfhinder and it has a New Transmission and Radiator Bypass. I took it to the dealer for inspection before buying it and all they told me was I will need spark plugs at 105K and they recommended a throttle body cleaning. They also did a recall that just came out....I think ECM something.
Sounds like timing chain/tensioner. Take it to a dealer quick as I "think" you're close to losing out on the extended warranty.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:43 am

Npath wrote:Sounds like timing chain/tensioner. Take it to a dealer quick as I "think" you're close to losing out on the extended warranty.
:? extended warranty?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:12 am

this may be related........

Service Bulletin #:
NTB05-015b
-REVISED-
2005 NISSAN PATHFINDER, FRONTIER; RATTLE NOISE FROM VIAS POWER VALVE ACTUATOR / INTAKE MANIFOLD COLLECTOR
There is a rattle noise coming from the Variable Induction Air Control System (VIAS) Power Valve Actuator /
Intake Manifold Collector at engine speeds around 2,200 RPM.

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:44 am

Maybe a loose exhaust shroud/heat shield? I don't know if on Pathy's they tend to get loose, but I've had other vehicles that the shrouds loosen up and vibrate and they kinda sound like a diesel...

jlwardn

Postby jlwardn » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:58 pm

This is not the throaty sound upon a heavier footed acceleration. It is under normal load and driving easy. I did some searches and some people have said it could be the octane gas used. I just bought it and asked the previous owner what he used. He only used 87 octane. I myself used 92 or 93 in my 2002 Pathfinder and felt it gave me better gas mileage but after reading all of the posts on this site I was not sure if I needed to do it for this 2005.
The noise does not really sound like any rattle from any heat shield or anything like that. I was really comparing it to a diesel engine truck.....just much quieter sounding. I have not had it long enough to run higher octane fuel through it and see if that helps. Would that be why the dealer suggested cleaning the throttle body or were they just looking for free money?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:47 pm

jlwardn wrote:It is under normal load and driving easy.
any particular RPM or RPM range?

jlwardn

Postby jlwardn » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:31 pm

It seems very consistant at all rpm ranges and changing of gears when accelerating from a stop.

bbermann

Postby bbermann » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:14 pm

Perhaps you could try some Seafoam?
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... ht=seafoam

grm3

Postby grm3 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:58 am

When you say it sounds like a diesel, do you mean a roar? I had a problem with my fan clutch that caused the radiator fan to always spin at full speed. It was loud - actually louder than the actual engine noise. When driving through my neighborhood or taking off from a stop, it would sound like a garbage truck going down the street.
Replaced fan clutch and problem solved.

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/pathfind ... noise.html

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:48 am

grm3 wrote:When you say it sounds like a diesel, do you mean a roar? I had a problem with my fan clutch that caused the radiator fan to always spin at full speed. It was loud - actually louder than the actual engine noise. When driving through my neighborhood or taking off from a stop, it would sound like a garbage truck going down the street.
Replaced fan clutch and problem solved.

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/pathfind ... noise.html
Did you notice any increase in fuel economy once you replaced it? You gotta think thats some significant extra HP being drawn if the fan is on all the time.

jlwardn

Postby jlwardn » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:09 pm

The best description of the noise is if you were to make and engine accelerating noise with your mouth by humming....now do it with water in your mount......kind of gargling/humming noise.....much like how a diesel truck sounds....just much much quieter. It I give it more throttle I get the deep growling sound which I know is normal. I have found a few other threads on different forums and some people talk about the different octane fuel making that kind of noise and other people talk about oil pressure and lifter noise. I am not too concerned but I thought if I could do a little maintenance or change something and make it better.....I would do it.

fat_frog

Postby fat_frog » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:26 pm

You mean like this thread? I have it, too....since day 1. I'm planning to take it in in the near future...to see what they say...

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/t ... ain-66513/

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”