The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Help high pitched engine noise.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
novaman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Help high pitched engine noise. Reply with quote

hey guys I have been noticing more and more when I start up my pathfinder there is a lot of engine noise it high pitched and kinda loud..like a whine....you can here it most of all in the cab..when you push the gas it gets louder.

Is this normal. Its a 08 with 50000 miles... No check engine like and has veen running perfect other then the noise thanks[/list][/list]
Npath

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help high pitched engine noise. Reply with quote

Take it to the dealer, you have timing chain/tensioner issue. Free fix that will be about a day and it'll cost Nissan $1500+ to fix.
bwareheim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue but they said that wasnt it. They just replaced some of the belts because it was time for new ones anyway and sprayed some oil and the noise went away.
05 Pathfinder LE Black- 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs, Rancho Quicklift/Spacers, Viper 5701 Remote Start/Security System, Kool-Vue CAI, Kenwood DDX514 w/ Sirius, 12" Alpine Type R w/ Alpine M500 Amp, Scoshe BT1000
Wedge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a similar noise on my 06 SE. Turned out it was the aftermarket oil filter which didn't have a check value.
Fookn4x2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has been making the same whining noise at startup but then goes away after a few miles and will not happen again until engine gets cold started again. Still not sure if tensioner or timing chain
webmastir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge wrote:
I just had a similar noise on my 06 SE. Turned out it was the aftermarket oil filter which didn't have a check value.

? Odd...
shv2sail

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 08 Pathfinder has started making this noise LOUDLY lately. Time to take it in, I guess. I hope it's NOT the timing chain issue as it has just under 90k miles on it and is no longer under warranty Sad
webmastir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn you people & your warranties. 110k on my 06 path

I'm sure everything will start going wrong now Crying or Very sad
shv2sail

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you webmastir! Since rolling past 85k there's been more clicking, rattling and now whining than ever Sad May be time to unload the truck...
shv2sail

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the bad news from the service department - it was the timing chain problem per the tech notice...ugh...costing me $1500. This truck better run for a while longer!! Mad
webmastir

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bah. eff that.. Shocked
Wedge

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

webmastir wrote:
Wedge wrote:

? Odd...

Indeed it was. I thought it would be the timing chain, but the dealer said Nissan oil filters have a check valve that opens when the pressure gets too high. I had gotten my oil changed at a quick-lube type place and I suppose the filter they used didn't have this and was making the noise.

I have never seen this before on any cars after oil changes at this place, including my wife's '08 Altima.
pearl62

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got booked in tomorrow for the same issue... $1350 at Sunnyvale Nissan. The way they described it made it sound like a design flaw to me...
volvite

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is this a common problem? Was the timing chain just loose?
Vote for September 2013 POTM here http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?p=59176#59176
shv2sail

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My repair ended up costing me just under $1400....$390 for parts, $1k for labor - OUCH. Crying or Very sad

Things like this should NOT be failing on this vehicle - even at 90k miles. VERY frustrating.

And yes, seems like a known issue/possible design flaw.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: