We rarely have snow, need some advice

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

dieselfan

We rarely have snow, need some advice

Postby dieselfan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:33 pm

I currently have some outside edge worn Michelin AT2's 265/65/17's and plan on going to the Lesotho highlands in a week or so. We are HOPING to see snow, I know for many of you this is common. In 30 years I've only seen it once and it was 0.5" think.

I wanted to fit a set of Yoko MT+ or Hankook MT03's but there's ZERO stock in South Africa at the mo. Should I take a chance and maybe take chains? I see the "snow" tyres on tirerack don't look very aggro infact they look like highway tyres?

Are MT's that much better for snow? Here in SA we have very little experience. Also is it true that you actually WANT a tyre to fill up with snow as rubber - > snow has little grip but SNOW - > SNOW more?

For Lesotho 2-3ft of snow is bad, a rather bigger concern is ICE as you do tend to cross small streams on the mountain passes. We are expecting temps around -12 to -15C (10-5F)

Is this muchado about nothing?

pandarturo88

Postby pandarturo88 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:09 pm

have you possibly looked into snow chains? I used to live in California and for boarding season we kept all weather tires on and when needed we strapped on snow chains. I believe the real difference in tire depth and tread is if there is truly an abundance of snow, but i know for fact that snow season tires are more expensive and have softer rubber therefore wearing faster than the all terrains. hope this helps.

05Pathfinder

Postby 05Pathfinder » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:59 pm

I have never needed chains and in fact on regular roads they arent even allowed here.

If your just driving on regular paved roads with snow I would reccomend that you have at least an all terrain tire. Of course they arent as good as winters since they wont be as soft or have the same grip but if you take it slow you will be fine.

BTW - I live where winter tires are mandatory and there is no shortage of accidents - people are stupid. Dont get caught up into thinking you have 4X4 and you can go fast... this is false.

You obviously lack experiance, so once again just take it SLOOOOOW. If you see snow go to a parking lot and just have fun trying to lose control to see how the car reacts.

Hope this helps.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:23 pm

MT's are the worst possible option on ice. The snow tires generally have bigger block and siping (for ice) and are amazing. I've run the Blizzaks on several vehicles with great results. On the PF, I run a Michelin highway (MS2) tire and get along good. The PF does great even in 2wd in most instances.

In your case I would go the chain route. Try to get along with what you've got but if it becomes a problem...throw on the chains. You might take two sets in case you get into rough terrain and damage one.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:04 pm

My Michelin LTX MS2's are fantastic in snow even after more than 30K miles. Can't unstick this truck...often the only vehicle driving around during DC's Snowmageddon in 2009.

Contrast this with the stock BF Goodrich tires, which were downright scary at 30K miles and once couldn't stop the truck when the front tires hit a wet sand patch.

I think you'll be fine...

CAMO

Postby CAMO » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:35 am

MT is realy good only for wet, deep and heavy snow. not for ice!

now i and many of my friends use BFG AT also in snowy winter.

mayby it isn't perfect solution for highway but possible to careful drive on snow and some ice. better for off road driving
Last edited by CAMO on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elpeede

Postby elpeede » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:57 am

I'd be very cautious of putting chains on the front of the pathfinder, they can easily foul the suspension and that could get really expensive, not to mention potentially cause a nasty occurance.

I'd look at the cost of dedicated snow tyres and the likelyhood you will revisit this area.. if its a one off then a pair of chains that you could sell once the trip is over would make sense.

I have quite alot of experience in driving snow and compacted snow/ice, the key is to keep the speed down. Treat all the surfaces as ice and you won't go far wrong. A pathfinder on a slide will take some stopping, and shouldn't be mistaken for drifting where you still have a relative amount of control.. on ice.. once your gone... your gone. ABS and traction control will help but they can't replace good old caution and application of common sense.

Take a look on youtube for videos, be lots out there including the bumps.

If you do need tyres anyway then the compromise would be AT's.. though you will have a drop in economy compared to purely road biased tyres.

I know that the use of chains on the rear only would be likely to cause theoretical problems in the difference in rolling radius and the use of 4x4... but couple this with the fact your using them only on some of the most trecherous and slippery conditions and then you remove the likelyhood of locking up the drivetrain and any damage.. clearly you wouln't use the chains any further than is absolutely necessary.

I have a set of chains that are used on my 7.50 r 16 Landrover tyres and they fit great on the pathfinder. Military surplus on ebay :D

Also look up snow socks on youtube.. they are awesome.. much lighter than chains and you could run them on all 4 tyres with a great reduction on the likelyhood of damage at the front end.

Taavi

Postby Taavi » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:09 pm

how much snow you expect to meet?
if it is less than 20-30cm then it almoust doesnt matter which tyres you have as long as you don't have slics.

with ice it is a little bit different story. best option would be studded tyres but in your case .. once in 30years.. its pointless.
if temperature dorps below 0C then expect ice on road even if it doesnt look icy.

anyway as said above,
The laws of fysics aplies anyway and in moust cases speed isnt your friend.

dieselfan

Postby dieselfan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:47 pm

Thanks for all the replies HOW the advice differs to what I got locally!!! Everyone was punting MT's OVER the AT's.

05Pathfinder - hehe Lesotho doesn't have parking lots. There's NO barriers on the edges of cliffs, there's NO cell reception apart from one city in west part. There's just mountains, cliffs and drops. If you find a bitumen / tar / paved road in Lesotho count yourself lucky. It is the highest country in the world now add 3rd world and few english speaking people.

Here's a hint - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hZ0lM3O ... ll&list=WL

I've been there in the past but only in August (end of winter in our hemisphere) we had to travel from one "lodge" to another - 60km (37miles) took us 4 hours.

Back to my tyres, some of the sides are almost slicks +- 2mm... admittedly the tyres are wider than stock. Legal limit here is 1mm.

Taavi

Postby Taavi » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:34 am

From my point of view the tyres with 2mm and less are slics..

We have 3mm limit for winter and 1mm limit for summer tyres.
I always get new tryes for winter if there is left 5mm or less.

Are you planning to take same road with "Suicide Bend," "Devils Elbow" and "Reverse Corner" ... ?

I wouldn't worry about ice but loose stones, lots of snow and heavy climbing and therefore would choose some MT tyres

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”