Vent Control Valve & Canister...

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

dpassino

Vent Control Valve & Canister...

Postby dpassino » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:19 pm

2003 Pathfinder SE / 4wd

Had a smoke test done at the "Stealership" for 250.00 and they told me my evap leak was from my vent control valve (aka canister purge valve) and that when replacing that part they need to replace the canister as well. I've taken my control valve off before to clean it since my first thought was that the valve was the issue to begin with... however... I've heard a rumor before that a dealership will want to replace both because it's more $$$ in their pocket....

Can't I just get away with replacing the valve itself since the canister isn't leaking? They want 452.00+1.5 hour labor to replace both. I can replace the valve in less than 8 minutes and the canister (if really needed) in 10 minutes.

So what's the verdict... are they trying to rip me off by telling me I need to replace both parts when only one is really needed?

I've just bought the valve from NAPA for 80.00 less than what they wanted.. going to put it in tomorrow during daylight.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”