Low Idle/Engine Stumble

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

eluwak

Low Idle/Engine Stumble

Postby eluwak » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:42 pm

I have a stumble in the engine when stopped at a light or sitting in a parking space. It's worse when the AC is on, but seems to happen even when it is off. It feels like maybe the idle is too low, but I haven't a clue if this is normal for the truck?? :? None of my other cars/trucks have had this.

If it's not normal I'll run it to the dealer for a looksee...

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:00 pm

I believe it's normal for these trucks. Mine's always done that.

leadpig

Postby leadpig » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:57 am

Mine does this too a bit, although it is erratic. It feels like, as you say, a marginally low idle. I have the climate control on mine and the kids fiddle with the rear controls all the time, so it's hard to correlate, but I think it is just the extra load from the system cycling on and off. It does sometimes go away on its own while at a stop light and other times the idle will dip while stationary for no other reason I can think of.

eluwak

Postby eluwak » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:14 pm

Ok, well at least it's not just me. I'll mention it in passing on the first service and see what they say.

Thanks for the feedback guys! 8)

mtcoastie

Postby mtcoastie » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:19 pm

Curious if anybody found out anything about this. Mine seems to be getting more noticeable.

silverpath

Postby silverpath » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:27 pm

have the idle re-learn... just had mine done, and it cured my issue.

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:56 am

my 06 does it too....

would it throw a code it the idle relearn is needed? How do you do the idle relearn?

silverpath

Postby silverpath » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:44 am

dawgn86 wrote:my 06 does it too....

would it throw a code it the idle relearn is needed? How do you do the idle relearn?
not sure about the code, but i had it done with my 30K service at the dealership and did not charge me extra.

cbacarisse

Postby cbacarisse » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:42 pm

Earlier this week I took mine in for the idle-relearn and it did make a slight difference. The tech told me new engine mounts might help so they are putting that in tomorrow. When they called this morning to tell me the arts are in, they said the tech called Nissan about the issue and they said to bump the RPMs on the idle up a little. I guess 500 at a red light is a little low.

He told me the Pathfinders and Frontiers all run a little rough, but mine was worse than most that he has seen. Maybe this will make it better.

leadpig

Postby leadpig » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:59 am

One thing I've noticed is it matters what gas I use. Around here (southern NM) all of the Fina stations became Alon. I have found that I get worse rough idle and some cold start stumble if I use that brand. I've been paying attention to it for a while and I'm sure it's not coincidental.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”