Ticking, rubbing or scraping when car slows down

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

allisojh

Ticking, rubbing or scraping when car slows down

Postby allisojh » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:49 am

I can't really give a good description of the actual sound other than its rhythmic and sounds like something is contacting something else when the vehicle is slowing down under 10mph. It also sounds like its under the car under the engine or by one of the front wheels. Its tough to pinpoint it as I got to have my head sticking out of the window and be coasting.

I can only hear it when the car is slowing down.
It only happens with the vehicle is under 10mph.

Its not real loud but the more I hear it, the more it agonizing and I can't think of anything it could be except maybe the breaks but... it doesn't happen when I press on the breaks, I can be coasting, in gear or in neutral and it happens only when the vehicle is below 10mph.

It never happens when accelerating.

Any ideas????

HydroPonix

scraping noise

Postby HydroPonix » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:48 pm

my pf was making some crazy scraping noise and it was only on braking, it sounded like a pebble between my rotor and my pad, thing is when I depressed the brakes it continued for a second or two. it was a really annoying, loud metal scratching sound. after I replaced my pads it went away, I don't think this is what your talking about but it sounded something fierce and like it was coming from under my car, definitely did not sound like your normal low brake pad report. did you ever figure out what was wrong?

ShipFixer

Re: Ticking, rubbing or scraping when car slows down

Postby ShipFixer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:52 pm

Metal or plastic noise? In time with wheel speed or something faster like the engine, transmission, fan or a pump?

Something that's leaning forward under braking and back under acceleration perhaps...

tamollyman

Postby tamollyman » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:17 pm

I have had the exact same sound lately. Even when i are only going 15mph its fine then when you coast never hitting the brake it starts to click . It sounds like a rock in the rim but it would have come out by now. and the idea of something rocking forward makes sense but if i never hit the brake and there is no rocking forward then i dont think it can be that. Its not effecting the driving or anything so im just trying to ignore it till my next oil change and maybe i can look around.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:56 am

I had a pebble lodged between the dust shield and the back of the rotor on my old civic once. Only made noise when going slow, and was even worse in reverse. It did not work itself out, I have to use a screwdriver to pop it out.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:53 pm

Are you brake pads in good shape? If they are worn out, this could be the brake pad wear indicator - metal tab scraping on your rotors that gets close enough to touch the rotors after your break pad material wears out to very low thickness. Check your pads and report back.

Return to “R51 General Chat”