Running fine then out of nowhere stalls, running rough

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

dkdontforget

Running fine then out of nowhere stalls, running rough

Postby dkdontforget » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:11 pm

So one night i was floring it up a hill in 4th gear going about 45mph, pulling fine up the hill and once i reach the top and push the clutch in it stalls.

after that it didnt want to stay started has no power, i have to floor it to get to 10mph and it hesitates and looks like its misfiring on all cylinders

ive had issues with the maf before where it would cause a rough idle and all i had to do was tap it and wiggle the wires and it would fix, no luck for this

also it overheats when driving with this problem, its not driveable

i tested the maf sensor as in this article http://easyautodiagnostics.com/nissan/3 ... f-sensor-1

and everything checks out except im seeing slightly higher voltages at idle im seeing 1.8v instead of 1.2 and at 2500rpm im seeing 2.5 instead of 2.4

so
no power
no cel but the codes pulled said MAF sensor (i checked codes after i pulled the sensor out so that might have caused that)
hesitates
overheats
misfires

did a full tune up 9 months ago

Hermit

Postby Hermit » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:04 pm

Sounds kind of like a vacuum leak, I'd check all the lines.

dkdontforget

Postby dkdontforget » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:14 pm

Checked and double checked, smoke tested and no vacuum leaks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:04 pm

Any chance the timing belt jumped a tooth or two?

dkdontforget

Postby dkdontforget » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:23 pm

im taking all that apart right now, from the looks of it, the timing marks on the belt and pulley look like theyre off by 8 teeth. ive never done a timing belt before so not really sure what im looking for

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:16 pm

There should be one or more videos on YouTube on how to change a timing belt on a Nissan VG motor. Autozone.com also has free repair guides that should have the R&R procedure. The new timing belt will have white lines on it and an arrow to help get everything in time; the arrow points toward the radiator and the dashed line on the belt lines up with the timing mark on the right bank cam sprocket...and the solid lines will line up with the marks on the left bank and crank sprockets, respectively. Your big concern will be, if the timing belt did jump, is the valves, as the motor is an interference engine. It all depends how much it jumped time and how fast the engine was turning when it did jump. Sometimes one or more valve gets bent, but sometimes you luck out. The other thing you'll want to check is the crank pulley. Sometimes the rubber will dry rot and separate, and the outer part of the pulley, which has the timing marks, will turn and become out of sync with the inner hub of the crank pulley. New ones are available on the aftermarket for about $100.

dkdontforget

Postby dkdontforget » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:36 pm

alright just changed the timing belt, it was off by 1 tooth on the left cam, but i still have the same problem

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:36 pm

Since the distributor is driven off of the left camshaft, make sure you check/adjust the ignition timing. Hopefully you didn't bend a valve on the left bank!

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”