tell tell signs of transmission problems?

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

cdcruizer05

tell tell signs of transmission problems?

Postby cdcruizer05 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:02 pm

Hi i have a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, with 94k miles...i

what are some signs of transmission problems? It seems like its been holding gears longer, i've had it since 21k miles and i've never serviced the transmission.

What are your thoughts on what my next maintenance should be?

Thanks in advance!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:43 pm

The question is kind of general. Any change in the way the transmission operates or deviates from "normal operation" can be a sign of a transmission "problem," or another issue that might be causing such abnormal operation...for example, a faulty throttle position sensor. Even if the "problem" is transmission related, it may not necessarily mean a major overhaul or replacement, but could be a bad shift solenoid, valve body or even a wiring circuit shorted or open.
The major issue regarding out R51's is, of course, the cross-contamination of ATF and coolant due to a failed cooler tube in the radiator. This can cause any of a number of transmission performance issues, but the most common is a vibration or shudder at speeds over 45 mph. Are you still using your original radiator or have you performed the cooler "bypass?" Have you checked your transmission fluid for signs of contamination...white streaks or "pinkish" fluid or a white, "custard-like" substance? Is there signs of transmission fluid in the coolant reservoir? Or...is the fluid brown, which could be a sign of clutch linings breaking down?

cdcruizer05

Postby cdcruizer05 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:45 pm

Thanks for your reply...no i haven't checked the fluid...usually the dealer does, when i take it in for a service.

It doesn't do it all the time...I'll make it to point to have the fluids checked and mention the subtle problem i've been having...

when i floor the throttle is shifts just fine, it just seems like when driving normally the shifts can be longer!

Return to “General Automotive”