Auto 4WD

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

OtterAKL

Auto 4WD

Postby OtterAKL » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:59 pm

Do you guys just leave it in auto full time? 2WD?

Thanks!

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:38 pm

I only use auto when I'm on the pavement and it's snowy/slick.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:14 pm

NmexMAX wrote:I only use auto when I'm on the pavement and it's snowy/slick.
I too leave it in auto during bad weather and snow/rain on the ground.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:40 pm

I leave mine in AUTO except on snow or ice-covered roads, which I will then switch to 4WD-Hi. It's similar in function to GM's SmartTrac II system. When in AUTO and in non-slip conditions, it will be in RWD mode until a slip is sensed or anticipated (like leaving from a start at WOT) and then will transfer the appropriate amount of power to the front wheels via a wet clutch. I notice no change in gas mileage between the two settings.

OtterAKL

Postby OtterAKL » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:30 am

smj999smj wrote:I leave mine in AUTO except on snow or ice-covered roads, which I will then switch to 4WD-Hi. It's similar in function to GM's SmartTrac II system. When in AUTO and in non-slip conditions, it will be in RWD mode until a slip is sensed or anticipated (like leaving from a start at WOT) and then will transfer the appropriate amount of power to the front wheels via a wet clutch. I notice no change in gas mileage between the two settings.
This was my thought. Just leave it in AUTO full-time and not worry about it. If a sudden rainstorm or otherwise adverse condition comes up, then I don't have to think about switching.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:02 am

It's actually very responsive too. I notice when I'm on snow/ice, I can give it some throttle and there is no hesitation to engage the front wheels compared to say a VDC event which seems to take a little while whereas in Auto, it's not even noticeable, the lag time that is.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”