Startup Issue

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

cjb1989

Startup Issue

Postby cjb1989 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:50 pm

Hey everyone,

I just picked up a 2001 pathfinder SE 4wd. On startup, it fires right up then immediately drops rpm and dies UNLESS i feed it fuel. After a few seconds of giving it fuel it will idle fine and run all day. I ran the codes and got 5: P0140 (O2 sensor/fuel pressure high or low), P1131 (vacuum leak/fuel injector issue), P1491 (blocked line), P0505 (IAC valve), and P0100 (MAF/MAP/vacuum hose). Obviously this is a lot of potential issues so looking for advice of where to start. Thank you!

GG671

Postby GG671 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:50 pm

Just had my '03 fixed. Had a lot of "hard start" problems for a couple of years, rough idle, running fuel rich, etc. My mechanic tuned it up, replaced the plugs, etc. But, he kept getting a "misfire" code, and couldn't find the cause of the misfire. Dealership ended up finding the cause. It ended up being leaking fuel pressure regulators. Fuel was leaking and getting into the cylinders, causing the rough idle and hard starting. Been running like a champ ever since I got the regulators replaced.

Have your mechanic check the plugs, see if they're fouled. Another symptom could be oil dipstick smelling like gas, or black smoke from the tailpipe. Those are symptoms of fuel pressure regulators.

Or, yes, could be faulty sensors, too.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”