RPM Too Low

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

ClayTech

RPM Too Low

Postby ClayTech » Mon May 02, 2016 11:23 am

I just purchased a used 2012 Pathfinder 23,000 miles. I've noticed that it's always wanting to shift into too high a gear, so the RPMs are way to low. So when I try to accelerate it struggles a bit and either manages to slowly accelerate or downshifts and then goes. It's going into 4th gear at 30-35mph. I cleaned the MAF sensor, which didn't help much, except now the pedal is more sensitive, almost too sensitive. Is there something else I should be cleaning out, or do I need to take it in and have it checked? It's not putting out any codes on the OBD.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Mon May 02, 2016 5:41 pm

I say have it checked for the heck of it but when I bought my 2012 I felt the same way that the trans is shifting up to quick and lugging the motor it seems to be a common trait with the R51. On that note I often downshift the auto if I get to a hill and going between say 30-40 and feel the truck lugging.

Kael2001

Postby Kael2001 » Tue May 03, 2016 6:45 am

I'm guessing yours it the petrol (you haven't set your location)

You could try ALL the resets?
ECU and Idle air learning
Accelerator released position learning
Throttle valve closed value learning.

They are documented here on page 25
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/ ... pdf#page25

The learning procedures normally help make the the truck feel punchier lol

ClayTech

Postby ClayTech » Tue May 03, 2016 5:30 pm

Thanks for the info. I took it in today, and my mechanic found a service bulletin to update the software, dealing with idle speed and other driving issues. It came out in 2013, and my Finder never had it done. We're going to start with that and see where it gets us. Diagnostics found a somewhat unhappy O2 sensor, but not so bad it was putting up a code, just out of parameters a bit. If the software update doesn't do the trick we'll replace the sensor.

Happy to be back in a Nissan, though.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”