new pathfinder, bad mpg

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

nismopath

new pathfinder, bad mpg

Postby nismopath » Tue May 24, 2016 6:21 pm

hello, I have just purchased a used pathfinder and noticed that i am getting about 15mpg mixed city/hwy 50%each. I do not accelerate fast, dont sit in bad traffic and have no modifications.
I just changed the transmission fluid and engine oil. Air filter looks fine, but i'll probably replace it just to start fresh. (Any recommendation on brand, besides OEM? ) I havent checked the spark plugs, but again I will change them soon just to know what I am working with.
Even if I change the plugs, I cant see that with 100k miles that the plugs will bring me up to 16/23mpg like I see advertised. Am i being unreasonable on the mpg or is there anything else I should inspect ?

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Tue May 24, 2016 9:12 pm

Thats about the mpg everybody gets

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed May 25, 2016 4:56 am

I got about 17.6 MPG combined. After I did some mods to the exhaust and intake and installed a performance tune with a Superchips programmer, I get another mile per gallon. If I'm taking a long trip on an interstate highway, I'll see 21.5 MPG.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed May 25, 2016 8:06 am

ours range from 13-23 mpg
the SE @ highway speeds has gotten 24-26 at times
the SE does a little better than the SE-OR

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Wed May 25, 2016 11:09 am

Since this is a new vehicle for me, is there any benefit to putting in a thing of fuel injector cleaner, like one of the lucas oil or Techron bottles ? Or is there anything else I should look into doing since I just don't know how the previous owner maintained the vehicle

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed May 25, 2016 11:47 am

nismopath wrote:Since this is a new vehicle for me, is there any benefit to putting in a thing of fuel injector cleaner, like one of the lucas oil or Techron bottles ? Or is there anything else I should look into doing since I just don't know how the previous owner maintained the vehicle
probably wouldn't hurt, but likely won't affect the mpg
check all fluid levels, air filter, CABIN FILTER
i like OEM air filters
battery post & clamp condition are frequent problems
be sure that the battery (-) cable clamp tightens down fully on the post, and does not pivot on the post even with the pinch nut tight
replace the clamp if necessary
what year is the truck?
are you familiar with the potential failure of the internal transmission cooler inside the radiator?
here's a link to one of our threads on the matter: http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... ght=bypass

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Wed May 25, 2016 1:27 pm

ok thanks. It is a 2005. I have just changed the oil, full synthetic. I am changing the air and cabin filter and I know my transmission fluid and coolant are brand new because I just replaced the radiator because I had water/coolant in the transmission! yes, I found out about that little issue after I bought the vehicle. Battery posts are clean and tight. How can I can easily check the differential fluids or any other fluids that I should check ?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed May 25, 2016 3:13 pm

nismopath wrote:ok thanks. It is a 2005. I have just changed the oil, full synthetic. I am changing the air and cabin filter and I know my transmission fluid and coolant are brand new because I just replaced the radiator because I had water/coolant in the transmission! yes, I found out about that little issue after I bought the vehicle. Battery posts are clean and tight. How can I can easily check the differential fluids or any other fluids that I should check ?
here's a link to our FAQs page
at the bottom is a link to our very own service manual
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=2305
:D

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed May 25, 2016 5:41 pm

How you drive your Pathy makes the biggest difference in gas mileage, since the throttle by wire is so sensitive. Easy on the pedal and using cruise control whenever possible nets the best MPG in my experience. As far as 87 octane vs. premium, I've noticed no difference in gas mileage. My 08 typically got a mile per gallon better than my 06. The R51 likes long, steady, highway runs. Stop and go traffic and around town driving kills its gas mileage.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu May 26, 2016 11:58 am

I've put about 96k miles on mine. That includes lots of highway (80mph+), lots of dirt roads in 4x4, massive elevation changes and a ton of extreme stop & go crap city driving. I'm at 16.xx (don't have the exact "xx" portion with me at work) mpg overall. Have you taken any highway trips that use up at least a tank or more? If so, what kind of mileage did you get?

Wondering about the plugs myself. I know they should probably be replaced soon, but I honestly don't think I will see any improvement in the mpg department.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”