Weird RPM/Shifting issue

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Islander82

Weird RPM/Shifting issue

Postby Islander82 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:55 am

Hello everyone,

My 2008 Pathfinder SE has ~125500 miles on it. I noticed a weird issue while on vacation and I got stuck behind a slow driver for about 100 miles on a small town road on which I could not pass. The car will accelerate normally up to 40mph but once I try to hold the gas pedal to maintain that speed the rpm's will drop to about 1000 and almost nothing short of flooring the gas pedal will cause the rpm's to rise. So if I try to accelerate to 50mph by pressing the gas pedal normally, the rpm's will only rise by about 100-200 and the car will take FOREVER to increase its speed by 10mph from 40 to 50. It feels like the car is in too high of a gear for the speed I am traveling. If I am traveling at 60mph or higher, everything seems fine. I bought this car 3 years ago with 89,000 miles on it. I've taken it on multiple road trips with zero issues until I was on my way home from my latest trip and this began happening. Has anyone seen anything like this? is there something I should be checking?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”