Mod Blueprint for my 2006 LE

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

Mod Blueprint for my 2006 LE

Postby smj999smj » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:12 am

With the Pathy paid off and a little $$ to spare, I'm ready to start doing a few performance upgrades to my 2006 LE. I've already done the mandatory Airlift 1000's and Bilstein rear shocks. If you followed my previous thread/poll, I debated on installing an aftermarket CAI system as the factory air ducts are splitting apart, and now would be the time to do it. My friend who's shop I use may be shutting down as soon as the next couple of months as he is trying to move across the country. Because of this, anything I need to do on a lift, or, would be much easier to do on a lift, needs to get down as soon as possible.
The goal is to increase power without getting into the engine internals. The obvious routes are to free up the exhaust (which is something I'll want to do on a lift while I have it) and reducing intake restriction and improving flow. I don't race the vehicle; it is a daily driver and it performs well stock. I do have those moments when a slow car or truck backs up the traffic on my way to work and a little more passing power comes in handy! Also, while I'm not expecting huge increase in gas mileage, freeing up the exhaust "may" help improve that. So, following is the "blueprint" for what I have planned. Not everything is set in stone, yet, but the intake and exhaust is pretty much sorted out.

INTAKE:
-Volant #12640 CAI w/ Powercore dry filter
-Airaid #520-605 TB spacer (still undecided on this one and I know it's not worth the money for the slight performance increase)
-XTP intake manifold spacer

ENGINE:
-Stillen #400380 standard-size, lightweight pulley.
-NGK OE Iridium spark plugs (when I get to 200,000 miles...still a ways away; I'll probably install new NGK coil boots at that time, as well)

EXHAUST:
-Doug Thorley shorty headers.
-Doug Thorley mid-pipes (eliminate post catalytic converters...I may have my friend make these for me, as he does custom exhaust)
-Magnaflow #12580 muffler (this 2-in and 1-out design will replace the restrictive "Y" and factory muffler. It's stainless steel, straight-through flow design, 2.25" inlets and 2.5" outlets, satin finish, 11x5" oval body, 22" long/28" overall length and is commonly used by Xterra and Frontier owners. I'll have my friend cut the muffler out, run new pipes in the front and use the original rear pipe and resonator)

ENGINE MANAGEMENT:
*This will be the last thing I do and still needs to be researched a little more. Since I am not going with long tube headers and deleting the upstream cats, I could probably get away without reprogramming the ECM with new mapping. That said, I also know the only way to get the full benefit out of the mods and to also turn off the WOT limiter is to reprogram. The Jet #65002 ECU upgrade kit sounds good, but Jet doesn't have the best reputation, IMO. Most will say that Uprev is the way to go and the Uprev standard should be more than enough for what I need.

NOTES: I won't be posting track times nor dyno numbers on this project; I'm not even sure where the closest dyno is near me?! I'm also not into the "butt dyno" results, because they usually prove nothing. I will eventually be checking fuel mileage after everything is installed and the ECM has had time to self-learn. What I have done and will continue to do is research heavily of what works and doesn't work to try and make good decisions in my choices. Let's face it, our R51's have been out for 10 years and there is already a wealth of information on the web in various forums! There is definitely a lot more information on performance upgrades in the Xterra, Frontier and Titan communities that there is in the R51 Pathfinder community, which is where I had to do a lot of my research. I also won't be changing the suspension height nor adding big tires, as most of my driving is on paved roads and highways. I "am" taking a look at that roof rack and debating on taking it off...as well as upgrading the door speakers, but those are taking a back seat for the moment as I can do that anytime. Stay tuned!!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:57 am

Nice write up. I'm thinking about an exhaust as well.

On the WOT restriction, I'm pretty sure my super chips has a setting to turn that off.

Looking forward to your updates.

not on the rug

mods

Postby not on the rug » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:05 am

Good list.

The XTP spacer and Magnaflow 12580/Y pipe delete certainly make a difference.

I'd love to delete the cats on mine, but NJ...

Headers would be awesome, but with a baby at home, money for new toys isn't high on the priority list right now

I definitely agree with you about the Xterra/Titan/Frontier communities being a far better resource than the pathy community.

Good luck with the mods and keep us posted

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:32 am

SMJ's Pathfinder will be named Pace Car for next years Indy 500! .. Lol

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:34 am

I'm actually quite excited to see how each mod reacts to the Nissan V6

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:44 am

I would go with a Superchips, but, their re-mapping is based around stock settings and won't take into consideration the mods. It would be a lot less headache to go that route, however, and still requires some research on my part. Most of what I'm doing shouldn't really put the stock management too far outside the bounds of what it can handle. This will be last on the list because once I do what's on the list, it's where I'm going to stop. The only thing else I would really want to do is upgrade the front brakes to the Stillen big brake kit because the stock brakes aren't exactly the best...but $2000 might be a bit prohibitive on my income! Headlights might be another area for improvement, but I can do those without a lift if I go that route. I know I'm not going to see a ridiculous increase in power and if I wanted a sports car, I wouldn't start with a V6 Pathy. I'm just trying to improve a little on what the factory gave us and a lot of that is where the exhaust mods come in to play. Where I'm at in VA, state inspection isn't as strict as say Cali or NY state.
The shop deadline is unsure, but he wants to be out by the end of the year. It's just a matter of him selling off some equipment, but he's been trying to do that for the past year. He seems more determined and his son has begun applying for another mechanical job, so I really have to get most of this stuff done within a short timeline. For those reasons, the exhaust system is high on the list right now.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:31 pm

Also, to be clear, I'd probably lean towards the Bully Dog vs Superchips. I already have a Superchips, but the BD seems to have a more modern feel, and has more functionality in regards to parameter monitoring over OBD.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:24 pm

I think the Uprev will give me the most benefits and flexibility. It gives 5 different maps that you can switch using your cruise control switch. If I had more faith in Jet, I would just send them my ECM and have them program it for my mods, but they've been known to sell some pretty "jenky" products in their past. For example, they sell a MAS for our vehicles that suggests improved performance but apparantly Uprev tested it and it's really no better than the stock, Hitachi MAS.
The reflash will be something that I'll be addressing sometime next year, probably in the spring. Right now it's all about the bolts on due to the limited time I have in the shop. Air tools and lifts make work a whole lot easier and I'm not getting any younger!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:59 pm

A quick note about myself for those that don't already know. While currently I work in the VA state prison system and also do mechanical work part time, I am a former Nissan Master Tech. I actually started in a Ford dealer in NJ in 1984 where I learned new and used car detailing, rustproofing and undercoating. I followed that path through several different dealers and manufacturers. In 1985, I started in my first Nissan dealer, again as a detailer. Over the years, I worked my way up through the ranks until I became a mechanic, ASE Master Tech and finally a Nissan Master Tech. I left Nissan in Oct. 2003 to work in a friend's shop in Virginia, leaving NJ. During those years in NJ, I left Nissan a couple of times to pursue other paths; I drove tractor-trailer cross-country for two years and for a year I was an independent mechanical inspection for several insurance companies that provided aftermarket warranties (mostly automotive). I would go to the dealer, take pictures, assess the damage and report it to the insurer. In whole, I worked for four different Nissan dealerships in five different locations for a total of 16 years. Since then, I've been a moderator at three sites, the now defunct Jonko forums, NissanForums.com and here at TheNissanPath. I also answer questions at TheNissanHelp.com. So, enough about me!
As I progress through this thread, I will post the best pics I can, but please note I don't have a fancy smart phone, yet. All I have is a flip phone, which works fine because I do a lot more texting than talking on the phone. It's cheap and it works. I will also list what I pay for the specific parts (as I do my best to get the best price on anything I buy), where I got them and what discounts I used, if any. I will also tell why I chose that specific part and other options I considered. The exhaust system will be the first point of attack!
Today, the parts started to roll in! UPS delivered the Magnaflow #12580 muffler. It's a lot heavier than I thought it would be and it seems to be quality made. I chose the satin finish, stainless steel, over the polished stainless steel (which has a different part #) because it was less expensive and because nobody is really going to be looking under my vehicle. I chose this after reading many reviews on Xterra forums. It should be an easy weld-in, it's a 2-in/1-out (2.25"/2.5") design. The muffler has an overall length of 28". The muffler is an oval design, 11x5" and 22" long. I wanted something close to the size of the original muffler that eliminated the restrictive "Y" and offered less restrictive flow-through. I also want something relatively quiet and the reviews seemed to state that it was and it sounded best with a resonator at the tailpipe, so I am sticking with my factory resonator. They do make a shorter muffler, but from the reviews I've read, it sounded "raspier" and not as good as the larger muffler. The muffler typically sells for around $131, but I was able to get it from Advance Auto Parts for $97 with tax. For discount codes, you can use "TRT41" or "TRT30." The price is about the same using either code, but use "TRT30" if you are ordering additional parts as it will take 30% off your entire order. I did this using a discount code and ordering online, which included free shipping. My friend and I will likely be installing it on Friday.

https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=12580
Last edited by smj999smj on Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:43 am

First off it was good to hear SMJ's story as I figured he was not your average home shop M1Abrams tank mechanic.

Nice muffler! SMJ do you find the stock R51 Pathy exhaust last a while?

Your R51 looks like a good project it will be interesting to see how it all comes together.

azaizai

Postby azaizai » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:54 am

I really appreciate this thread! You're approaching the Path the same way I'm thinking about mine. Duty and utility first, and then maybe a little fun.

Quesiton though: My little 4.0 has the timing chain whine and I'm only sitting at 89k miles. I'm comfortable doing the work but I'd rather only work on the motor once. In terms of timing/mileage, how long should I wait to get the timing chain tensioners done? I'm thinking about doing the timing stuff, plugs and boots, intake spacer and possibly that crank pulley you listed (I didnt know that was a thing). I dont put much mileage on the truck, have switched over to synthetic everything and the noise doesnt sound any worse...so I'm inclined to wait.

Anywho, look forward to more updates and thanks again

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:37 pm

Kestral wrote:First off it was good to hear SMJ's story as I figured he was not your average home shop M1Abrams tank mechanic.

Nice muffler! SMJ do you find the stock R51 Pathy exhaust last a while?

Your R51 looks like a good project it will be interesting to see how it all comes together.
The factory exhaust is stainless steel and mine is in very good shape even after 10 years. Heat shield clamps rusting and breaking are a common thing, but they are easily replaced with some radiator hose clamps.
I'm actually still using the factory pipe/resonator after the muffler and part of the pipes in front of the muffler, basically, just cutting out the factory muffler, welding in the Magnaflow and fabricating what is needed in front of the muffler using aluminized pipe.
The headers and B-pipes are on the way and it looks like I may be putting them in next Friday.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:46 pm

azaizai wrote:I really appreciate this thread! You're approaching the Path the same way I'm thinking about mine. Duty and utility first, and then maybe a little fun.

Quesiton though: My little 4.0 has the timing chain whine and I'm only sitting at 89k miles. I'm comfortable doing the work but I'd rather only work on the motor once. In terms of timing/mileage, how long should I wait to get the timing chain tensioners done? I'm thinking about doing the timing stuff, plugs and boots, intake spacer and possibly that crank pulley you listed (I didnt know that was a thing). I dont put much mileage on the truck, have switched over to synthetic everything and the noise doesnt sound any worse...so I'm inclined to wait.

Anywho, look forward to more updates and thanks again
If you can hear the timing chain whine, then you should replace the secondary chains ASAP. The whine is an indication that the chain(s) has already cut into the tensioner face. Whether you want to replace just the secondary chains as per the TSB or get a whole timing chain kit with guides is up to you. I have noticed on those that I have replaced, there was little to no visible wear on the timing chain guides. I would recommend replacing, in addition to the secondary chains, the primary chain and tensioner, thermostat and water pump. I highly recommend using Permatex Ultra Grey Rigid High-torque RTV on the front cover; it comes in a cheese-whiz style can or in a tube you can used in a caulk gun and it is fantastic! It would also be a good time to replace the serpentine belt.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:47 pm

Yesterday, with help from my friend, Pat, at Car-Go Motors in Farmville, VA, the old muffler and "Y" were cut out and replaced with the Magnaflow #12580 muffler. First things first: If you want your Pathfinder to sound stock, without any "drown" and without feeling any vibration that typically occurs when a performance exhaust is installed, then leave the stock exhaust system alone! The factory spent a lot of time making the exhaust quiet and void of vibrations, drone, rasps and other characteristics that most of its buyers don't want in a stock vehicle. Any performance upgrade to your exhaust system will have some sort of affect on it.
I'm very happy with the results. Keeping the stock tailpipe resonator prevents any "raspiness" that might occur without it. There is a subtle, "performance muffler drone," but it is not obnoxious by any means. There is a little vibration felt at idle. At cruising speeds, you hardly notice any change compared to stock until you give it some pedal to pass or accelerate and then it sounds pretty good!
One thing I will say, this is not a cut out the old and clamp in the new project. If that is what you are looking for, then I would recommend you go with the Gibson cat-back. The Gibson system is a good system and one advantage of it is that the pipe over the rear suspension is round, unlike the oval pipe the stocks system used. I don't know if the oval pipe creates much more restriction than the round, Gibson pipe, or if it creates any, at all. One issue I have heard about the Gibson pipe is that some have had rattle issues due to the tight clearances in the area over the rear suspension. The other issue is the price; the Gibson system is not cheap, especially if you go with the stainless system. The Gibson system runs in the $400-450 range. The Magnaflow muffler install cost me $97 for the muffler, plus the cost of about 4 feet of aluminized 2.25" pipe and some bar stock for the hangers, plus the installation fees. In my case, Pat did the job at no cost, but he did a great job and slipped him $40. Also, was the cost of a can of VHT aluminum-colored exhaust paint, about $10 from Advance Auto Parts, to paint the weld seams and hangers when finished, to prevent corrosion.
The Magnaflow has dual, 2.25" inlets and a single, 2.5" outlet. The factory pipes in the front are actually about 2" and the rear pipe is about 2.25," which is why I say this is not a simple bolt-on project. If you are good with a welder, or take the job to a custom exhaust shop that can weld it in, this is not a big issue. Pat didn't have much issue with the front pipes. He made a new pipe on the passenger side and made an elbow for the left side using the pipe bender. I was even able to reattach the factory heat shield with three radiator hose clamps. For the back, it was a little more work. He made an adapter to fit the muffler outlet to the stock, factory, tail pipe assembly. Then he welded on some beefy hangers after welding everything together. From what I've read, most exhaust shops typically charge around $50 +/- to install the muffler. The factory exhaust is stainless steel and even after 10 years, were still in great shape.

Goodbye, restrictive "Y!"

I apologize for the sideways pictures. I edited them on Photobucket, but for some reason they went back to the originals. Oh well... :?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:43 pm

The photos look fine to me... not sideways.

However, the photos in your earlier post don't seem to be working anymore.

Awesome job on the exhaust. I definitely have something like this in mind. My approach will be to take it to an exhaust shop, I'm friends with a guy so shouldn't be too expensive. Probably next year or so.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”