The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Dashboard Brake Light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joebob2k10

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Dashboard Brake Light Reply with quote

The dashboard brake light on my 04 SE has decided to come on even though the hand brake is full released. What may cause this?

Also, if I need to add brake fluid where would I need to add it?
NVSteve
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Brake Light Reply with quote

joebob2k10 wrote:
The dashboard brake light on my 04 SE has decided to come on even though the hand brake is full released. What may cause this?

This may or may not apply, but I just fixed the exact same thing in a Jetta. Pop the boot off the hand brake. It should have a nut or 2 to adjust the pull on the cable. The Jetta I just fixed has a depress switch that was not getting completely depressed, which caused the brake light to be on constantly. I just had to adjust the hand brake a little bit & the light is gone.
blink32

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Brake Light Reply with quote

joebob2k10 wrote:

Question What makes you think you need to add brake fluid? Something other than the light?

04 huh? How many miles on those brakes that are on there now? I have found that Nissan's seem to run a thin line between how much fluid the reservoir holds and how much it takes to keep the light off. For me the lights seem to come on about the time the noise makers fire up to let you know your brakes are low.

In the short term pop the hood and add some fluid. Usually the cap is bright yellow and it will be embossed with something akin to "use DOT3 or DOT4 only". Most likely close to the firewall but I don't remember on the R50 for sure.

If the fluid is low in the res and adding more fluid solves your light issue then you need to dig further and make sure your pads aren't on done for. Take it somewhere to see if they are worn enough to warrant replacing them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: