1998 Pathfinder LE. lots of problems i need help with

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Andyroo

1998 Pathfinder LE. lots of problems i need help with

Postby Andyroo » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:12 pm

Ok, so i have a 98 Pathfinder LE 3.3l, with quite a few issues.
1. Idle is wonky, it drops below 500rpm and almost dies.
2. I believe the throttle sensor is being as big of a pain, as listening to all this crap about Trumpy.
3. When i turn left on a paved road, the car shakes back and forth like its going to roll like Chamillionair. And when i turn right the front end shakes like its gonna break off like Brad and Angelina.
4. When the idle drops, it sounds like im listening to my 2nd grade teachers nails on a chalkboard.
5. The sunroof tilts up nicely, but slides slower than my trying to get into a girls DM's.
6. When i switch 2w into 4h it grinds like me at the club wasted out of my mind. and the transmission, transfer case, and both front and rear diff fluids are all full and in excellent shape.
7. After having the car parked for a couple hours, or overnight the gas pedal sticks like a magnet to Wolverine.

Oh also, probably unrelated. Most likely has nothing to do with anything at all.

My car also has 514,000km on it

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:45 pm

All those things didn't happen at the same time so, you have a 20 year old car that's been neglected and acting it's age, like a drunk middle aged housewife with a fistful of dollar bills at a chip-n-dale bar.
With those kind of miles you might want to consider upgrading vehicles over dropping a bunch of money into the car unless you are willing to do the work yourself.

Now I'm off,, off like a prom dress.

Andyroo

Postby Andyroo » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:55 pm

i know its been neglected, i can do the work myself no problem. but some of the issues, i am a little unsure about. thats why i posted this, to see if anyone else has been having similar issues

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:24 pm

The gas pedal sticking after a long sit is pretty common and easy to fix: get some carb cleaner or throttle body cleaner and clean out the throttle body. The varnish builds up and causes the plate to stick. Remove the air duct, hold open the throttle and clean it out with the cleaner and a soft rag. Re-assemble. When you go to start it, it will start like it's flooded, so floor the gas pedal when you do start it.

As far as the idle, it could be that the base idle setting is off, the IACV-AAC valve is dirty or not working and needs to be replaced or even something like the engine being due for a tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.). Follow the procedure in the factory service manual "EC" section to put the engine in "timing set mode" so you can properly set the ignition timing and base idle. As far as the TPS, they have had some issues with them, but if the throttle was badly varnished and not allowing the throttle plate to fully close, it may have caused the close throttle position setting to be relearned. If you do replace the TPS, make sure you adjust it per the FSM; the procedure is very specific and requires a feeler gauge and an ohmmeter. Stick with genuine Nissan parts, if possible.

As far as the suspension issues, one really needs to do a thorough inspection of the front and rear suspension and driveline. Rear suspension link bushings failing are a very common problem and can cause the vehicle to wander all over highway. Also, check the front for worn ball joints, control arm bushings, excessive play in the inner and outer tie rods, worn steering rack mount bushings and for play in the wheel bearings.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”