Wilderness Track Rack: Best Rack Ever

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

IcedTeasley

Wilderness Track Rack: Best Rack Ever

Postby IcedTeasley » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:17 am

First thing's first. I chose the Wilderness Track Rack over other systems for a few reasons.

1. It has easily the highest weight capacity of anything available for your PF. 300+ lbs. (thoroughly tested)

2. It's a lot lower on the roof vs. most popular baskets (Yak Load Warrior and Thule MOAB). The total height of the system is only 6.5 inches from the paint up.

3. It's rated for off-road use. Thule and Yakima warn against using their products off-road and won't warrant against any damage sustained from said use.

OK, on with the show. I hope this helps some of the more adventurous DIYers in the forum. Sorry I didn't document the removal process for all the factory equipment. I did that a week prior and didn't even think to take any pictures.

Start by assembling the basket and installing all accessories BEFORE you put the basket on the roof. The supplied instructions are more than sufficient so I won't elaborate on that process. Next, measure and mark your first track holes...

Starting at the rear of the roof, place the track on the roof and measure forward from the front/upper edge of the hatch to the rear end of the track. I recommend putting the track 5 inches from the hatch. Make sure to keep the track just to the inside of the rain gutter on the roof. You will run the track over one of the factory rack mounting holes to achieve this placement. Just seal it with silicone before you lay the track down.

Now mark your first hole with a center punch. Just keep the track right where you measured and drop the punch into the hole in the track. Make sure to dimple th roof slightly to keep your drill bit from wandering all over your roof.

Using a small pilot bit first and the full size bit second, drill your first holes on both sides of the roof. Then using the supplied rivnut tool, insert your rivnuts and expand them by hand tightening the bolt on top of the tool.

Don't foget the silicone.

Bolt the track and end cap to the rivnuts and leave them in place for the rest of the install.

At the front of the track, measure to ensure symmetry and place them as close to the rain gutter as possible.

After measuring, tape the track to the roof with scotch tape to hold it in position and use the track as a template to center punch all the holes along it's length. Use compressed air to clean the roof. Trying to wipe a bunch of sharp metal bits off your roof with a cloth will damage your paint.

Pilot Holes...

Full Size Holes...

Install all rivnuts in holes and seal with silicone.

*BEFORE* you bolt down the track, make sure to insert the mounting plates FIRST. Then bolt the track down to your roof.

Assemble all mounting brakets and attach them to the mounting plates in the tracks. Make sure to leave everything loose.

Finally, put the basket on the roof and loosely attach it to the mounts. Measure to get the basket where you want it and make sure it's centered and square. Tighten all mounting hardware. ENJOY.

BEFORE

AFTER

Hope this is helpful.

http://wildernessracks.com/roof_wild_tracks.html
Last edited by IcedTeasley on Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xd9-g19

Postby xd9-g19 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:02 pm

How much it the rack you installed on the above pathy?

IcedTeasley

Postby IcedTeasley » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:27 pm

$705 for the track rack system w/ basket. $50 for shipping. $300 for installation.

xd9-g19

Postby xd9-g19 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:40 pm

Thats a sweet rack system, just a tad out of my range, maybe when i save up a little. :D

IcedTeasley

Postby IcedTeasley » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:15 am

It is sweet. I've caught people taking pictures of it in parking lots on their cell phones and such. Everywhere I go someone has to ask how it mounts and so on... I have carried 250lbs of gear on it without issue. It's bomb-proof.

Also, I purchased the wind deflector for my basket (44" sport series: http://wildernessracks.com/access_deflector.html) and my sunroof (see www.weathertech.com). They work really well in conjunction to keep everything on my roof very quiet. I couldn't be happier.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:54 pm

That's a nice rack and it doesn't really stand out like the Yakima's. That's a good thing. I know my wife would have a heart attack if she saw me drilling into the roof. I don't need anything like that right now, but when the boys get old enough to do some outdoor adventures, it's good to know.

Shinyboy

Postby Shinyboy » Tue May 25, 2010 1:52 pm

Man, those Duratracs look fantastic!

IcedTeasley

Postby IcedTeasley » Tue May 25, 2010 8:00 pm

Glad you like them. Check out my full write up:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=2066

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:24 pm

Love the look of that roof rack on that pathfinder. The price is out of range, but it sure looks good.

IcedTeasley

Postby IcedTeasley » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:58 am

First of all, thanks. I know this setup is ridiculously expensive and therefore not for everyone. I really want to push the limits of what people think is possible for the R51 PF on all fronts.

Having said that... I happen to manage both of the Colorado retail and shipping locations for www.RackAttack.com ... sorry for the shameless advertising, but others in the forum have already posted about and purchased from our website. Because I do what I do, I'm lucky enough to get some great deals on really cool stuff like my roof rack. If you want a more coast effective basket, get a Yakima LoadWarrior or the larger MegaWarrior. They both fit right to your PF factory cross-bars. They aren't as burly or as low-profile as what I have but, they are well made and tons of guys on the forum use them on their factory rack.

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:53 am

IcedTeasley wrote:$705 for the track rack system w/ basket. $50 for shipping. $300 for installation.
Ice...you have one of the sharpest PF I have seen....roof rack really looks good..

I have a black 06..wish the wife would let me "trick" mine up a little more. :)

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”