Need help with my 1999.5 Pathfinder ignition lock assembly

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

kookiemonster2k2

Need help with my 1999.5 Pathfinder ignition lock assembly

Postby kookiemonster2k2 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:46 pm

Hello All.
I need some assistance and would be very appreciative if anyone can help me.

Here is scenario:
1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder automatic transmission
ISSUE:
I insert my key into the ignition, and it won't turn.
Sometimes, jiggling it for upto 1/2 hour, it will turn, and allow me to ignite the engine. But once I pull the key out, the 'lock' mechanism clicks in and this whole process starts over again.
First I thought it was an steering wheel lock issue. It is not as I have moved the wheel a lot and still no dice.
Second, I thought that it was a shift lock issue. It is not this either.
CONCLUSION:
1. Cut a new key and lube the lock mechanism. (will try this tonight)
or the more costly option
2. Purchase a replacement ignition lock assembly (lock cylinder). have a locksmith 're-key' this lock to my original key, and then replace it into the steering wheel column.
This is where my question is. If I choose replacement, Nissan Canada wants $420 for the package part(s). From my mechanic, just the lock assembly, $245. But I'm getting conflicting information as to which lock cylinder will work with my pathy. A dealership says that this uses the 2000+ part and a 1999 lock cylinder will not work. An OEM auto parts site (ROCKAUTO) has the same part number for a 1998, 1999, and 2000 pathfinder, therefore, that means the 1999 part will work in my 1999.5 pathy.

Does anyone know which part I need? Or which one will work?
And where I can get it?
I'm hoping the lube and new key will work, but this is a $60 venture. If it doesn't, I'm still SOL on replacing it.

Thanks in advance.
LUV MY PATHY.. but not today..

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:31 pm

PM Brian, user name Jerseyparts, and he'll help you out. Otherwise you could visit some of the Nissan parts sites like Courtesyparts.com . They have blown up diagrams of the parts. They won't give the real nissan part number but you can order it direct from them.

Shaker

Postby Shaker » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:00 am

Hi, wondering if you ever got an answer to your question? I'm facing the same issue and not sure which ignition cylinder to get, the one for 1999 or 2000 as the appear to be different according to some parts sites.

Thanks

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”