The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Trans fluid and coolant change questions....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinyboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: Trans fluid and coolant change questions.... Reply with quote

On my 06LE....I'm interested in getting trans fluid and coolant changed after my next trip to NY this weekend. I've got 45k on it and just want to do it for preventative maintenance since we bought it used and I doubt it has ever been done.

I've done some reading that suggests Nissan doesn't recommend a flush due to the possibility of forcing gunk back through the trans and clogging it up. Also, that any dealer recommending a flush is simply trying to line his pockets and that it's a total BS service. Then, I called the dealer today to ask them what the cost would be and he recommended a flush ($249.00 Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ). I questioned him on the fact that in some reading I did, I read Nissan doesn't recommend a flush and he stumbled a bit......

He says; "Well, Nissan is changing their views on that and it really depends on what mileage you're at"

When I said I was at just under 50k he says, "Well, right about there you'd be fine but I wouldn't do one much after that" Rolling Eyes

He went on to say that if I did a simple drain and refill, I would only be changing out 4 of the 13 quart capacity. Is this correct? 13 quarts? Why would only 4 drain? :confused: :confused: I hate being jacked around by dealers and just want a straight shot and to know what needs to be done.

Any thoughts on these two services are appreciated.
pawjr74

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are different ways of replacing the trans fluid. You do want to avoid some types of "flush" machines. From my research I found out that you want to go somewhere that does a fluid exchange. They tap into you trans cooler lines and the machine basically adds new fluid in one line while the other line drains the old fluid out. You ONLY want to use your vehicles internal transmission oil pump to move the fluid in the normal direction of flow. You don't want a machine that puts in any "flush" chemicals or pushes fluid the opposite direction of the normal flow. I did mine at 40K and I'm now at 65k with no problems.
wht06pf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you take yours too me done? I've got 2 vehicles that need the trans fluid changed. Also how much was it?

pawjr74 wrote:
There are different ways of replacing the trans fluid. You do want to avoid some types of "flush" machines. From my research I found out that you want to go somewhere that does a fluid exchange. They tap into you trans cooler lines and the machine basically adds new fluid in one line while the other line drains the old fluid out. You ONLY want to use your vehicles internal transmission oil pump to move the fluid in the normal direction of flow. You don't want a machine that puts in any "flush" chemicals or pushes fluid the opposite direction of the normal flow. I did mine at 40K and I'm now at 65k with no problems.
madrock

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently did the drain and fill on mine. I had a shop do a complete flush on my Titan, and it seemed to do more harm than good. That's why I opted for the drain and fill with the Pathy. It was fairly easy to do. It took four quarts of Amsoil Universal ATF, and now it seems to shift a lot better than before.

I need to get my hands on a 10mm hex bit so I can do the the transfer case next.
Air Box Mod
Grille Mod
PRG Mini Lift
Recovery hitch receiver
265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs
pawjr74

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a local Purcells. It cost me $49.00 to do the "fluid exchange." (I brought 14 quarts of the Nissan "S" matic myself. I don't trust anyone to choose or use the correct fluid. Also why pay a marked up price on the already expensive "S" matic fluid.
pawjr74

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Trans fluid and coolant change questions.... Reply with quote

Shinyboy wrote:

He went on to say that if I did a simple drain and refill, I would only be changing out 4 of the 13 quart capacity.

In my opinion a drain and fill is not accomplishing much due to the above stated fact.

For the fluid exchange don't force the fluid through forward or backward of the normal flow. Only use the transmission pump to move the fluid in the normal direction of flow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: