Vibration when car comes to a stop.

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

pathfindertexas

Vibration when car comes to a stop.

Postby pathfindertexas » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:51 am

Hey guys. I just got my 2008 Pathfinder about a month ago after I was side-swiped in my Xterra and it was totaled. I never noticed anything wrong with the car when I test-drove it at the dealership, but now I do. Everytime I get off the highway and come to a stop light, the car starts to vibrate. Sometimes it stops within a second and other times I have to inch forward to get it to stop. It doesn't do it if I go at low speeds, (ex. through a neighborhood), but it does sometimes do it if I go on an axis/feeder road (40 + mph), but it does it most after I have been on the highway going 65+ and then get off. I don't abruptly stop or anything, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea what is going on.

Thanks in advance!

cgray

Postby cgray » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:51 pm

My first thought is when was the transmission oil changed last? I was starting to get some of those same things going on until I changed the fluid and now it is all better.

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:46 pm

PF Texas

how is your RPM's when this happens? anything done to your throttle body?

wonder if this could be the idle air relearn procedure needing to happen?

pathfindertexas

Postby pathfindertexas » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:00 pm

I have no idea when the transmission oil was last changed as I just bought it from the dealership. I'm assuming that they prepped it as it was a certified pre-owned car when I bought it, but you never know.

And my RPM's stay the same, they don't fluctuate at all. It also doesn't matter if the AC is on or off, it will do it regardless. I am not aware of anything done to my throttle body either.

I'll be looking at it this weekend to see if there's anything I can see under the hood and if needed take it in. Thanks for the advice!

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:19 pm

PF Texas,

not trying to be a smart arse here..but nowdays, I would hate to assume anything from the dealers and prepping the car. Did you buy it from a Nissan dealer?

Could be a motor mount? exhaust manifold shield loose?

Im sure others will chime in as to possible causes..please let us know what you find out.

pathfindertexas

Postby pathfindertexas » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:01 pm

Oh trust me, I would love to assume they did everything they were supposed to as well. But yes, I did buy it from a Nissan dealership who has a certified pre-owned section. And I will check on those two things this weekend. I'm just a little nervous it has to do with the engine as I have read a bunch of things about engine failiure. I will post back after this weekends checkup on what I can find out.

pathfindertexas

Postby pathfindertexas » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:12 pm

Sorry this has taken so long to get back about the vibration issue. After a small delay of getting to take it in, I just got it back today and have to say that it is much better. I put in a new belt myself before I took it in to see if that had anything to do with it, nope, it still vibrated. I then took it in and they bumped the idle and it seems to be riding much better. They also replaced the battery. It hasn't vibrated yet, although they did tell me that these trucks do have a rough idle, which I don't really understand. I used to own an Xterra and you would think that would have a rougher idle as it seems a little more rugged and off road. Hmm. Well anyways, bumping the idle has seemed to really help so if anyone has this problem I would try this before doing anything too major.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”