The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Engine noise upon acceleration
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlwardn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Engine noise upon acceleration Reply with quote

I just bought a 2005 with 98,000 miles on it. When I accelerate I normally I get a noise that kind of sounds like a (quiet) diesel engine. It is cold here in Michigan so I can't verify if it does it when it is warm. I am not accelerating hard. It happens under normal acceleration. I am coming from a 2002 with the 3.5L engine and with 130,000 miles it still sounds like it is brand new. I have been around many of these 4.0L engines when they are new and they do not have this diesel sound. I just bought this Patfhinder and it has a New Transmission and Radiator Bypass. I took it to the dealer for inspection before buying it and all they told me was I will need spark plugs at 105K and they recommended a throttle body cleaning. They also did a recall that just came out....I think ECM something.
Any thoughts on the noise???
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine noise upon acceleration Reply with quote

jlwardn wrote:
I just bought a 2005 with 98,000 miles on it. When I accelerate I normally I get a noise that kind of sounds like a (quiet) diesel engine. It is cold here in Michigan so I can't verify if it does it when it is warm. I am not accelerating hard. It happens under normal acceleration. I am coming from a 2002 with the 3.5L engine and with 130,000 miles it still sounds like it is brand new. I have been around many of these 4.0L engines when they are new and they do not have this diesel sound. I just bought this Patfhinder and it has a New Transmission and Radiator Bypass. I took it to the dealer for inspection before buying it and all they told me was I will need spark plugs at 105K and they recommended a throttle body cleaning. They also did a recall that just came out....I think ECM something.

The engine does have a bit of a throaty mid-range... is it accelerating properly or surging?

What kind of fuel are you running? Any check engine lights? Funny smells?

t

'05 Pathfinder SE Premium 4x4 - 250000kms - weekend warrior, Cortex Superchips on 87 Octane Tune, K&N filtercharger, Airlift 1000, Prodigy Brake controller, 7 pin trailer hookup, By-passed water/oil transmission cooler, Prostart Remote Starter, Bilstein 4600 rear shocks, BFG T/A KO 265/75/16
coom1986

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By diesel engine do you mean your hearing a rough engine while generally moving or are you hearing a whine like sound??
Npath

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine noise upon acceleration Reply with quote

jlwardn wrote:

Sounds like timing chain/tensioner. Take it to a dealer quick as I "think" you're close to losing out on the extended warranty.
eieio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Engine noise upon acceleration Reply with quote

Npath wrote:
Sounds like timing chain/tensioner. Take it to a dealer quick as I "think" you're close to losing out on the extended warranty.

Confused extended warranty?

"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
eieio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may be related........

Service Bulletin #:
NTB05-015b
-REVISED-
2005 NISSAN PATHFINDER, FRONTIER; RATTLE NOISE FROM VIAS POWER VALVE ACTUATOR / INTAKE MANIFOLD COLLECTOR
There is a rattle noise coming from the Variable Induction Air Control System (VIAS) Power Valve Actuator /
Intake Manifold Collector at engine speeds around 2,200 RPM.

Spamcan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a loose exhaust shroud/heat shield? I don't know if on Pathy's they tend to get loose, but I've had other vehicles that the shrouds loosen up and vibrate and they kinda sound like a diesel...
2009 Suzuki C50SE Dk/Lt Grey (well customized)
1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100 (in parts being rebuilt)
jlwardn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not the throaty sound upon a heavier footed acceleration. It is under normal load and driving easy. I did some searches and some people have said it could be the octane gas used. I just bought it and asked the previous owner what he used. He only used 87 octane. I myself used 92 or 93 in my 2002 Pathfinder and felt it gave me better gas mileage but after reading all of the posts on this site I was not sure if I needed to do it for this 2005.
The noise does not really sound like any rattle from any heat shield or anything like that. I was really comparing it to a diesel engine truck.....just much quieter sounding. I have not had it long enough to run higher octane fuel through it and see if that helps. Would that be why the dealer suggested cleaning the throttle body or were they just looking for free money?
eieio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlwardn wrote:
It is under normal load and driving easy.

any particular RPM or RPM range?

jlwardn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems very consistant at all rpm ranges and changing of gears when accelerating from a stop.
bbermann

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you could try some Seafoam?
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=1980&highlight=seafoam
grm3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say it sounds like a diesel, do you mean a roar? I had a problem with my fan clutch that caused the radiator fan to always spin at full speed. It was loud - actually louder than the actual engine noise. When driving through my neighborhood or taking off from a stop, it would sound like a garbage truck going down the street.
Replaced fan clutch and problem solved.

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/pathfinder/15831-excessive-fan-noise.html
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grm3 wrote:
When you say it sounds like a diesel, do you mean a roar? I had a problem with my fan clutch that caused the radiator fan to always spin at full speed. It was loud - actually louder than the actual engine noise. When driving through my neighborhood or taking off from a stop, it would sound like a garbage truck going down the street.
Replaced fan clutch and problem solved.

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/pathfinder/15831-excessive-fan-noise.html

Did you notice any increase in fuel economy once you replaced it? You gotta think thats some significant extra HP being drawn if the fan is on all the time.

'05 Pathfinder SE Premium 4x4 - 250000kms - weekend warrior, Cortex Superchips on 87 Octane Tune, K&N filtercharger, Airlift 1000, Prodigy Brake controller, 7 pin trailer hookup, By-passed water/oil transmission cooler, Prostart Remote Starter, Bilstein 4600 rear shocks, BFG T/A KO 265/75/16
jlwardn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best description of the noise is if you were to make and engine accelerating noise with your mouth by humming....now do it with water in your mount......kind of gargling/humming noise.....much like how a diesel truck sounds....just much much quieter. It I give it more throttle I get the deep growling sound which I know is normal. I have found a few other threads on different forums and some people talk about the different octane fuel making that kind of noise and other people talk about oil pressure and lifter noise. I am not too concerned but I thought if I could do a little maintenance or change something and make it better.....I would do it.
fat_frog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean like this thread? I have it, too....since day 1. I'm planning to take it in in the near future...to see what they say...

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/truck-going-piston-slap-under-powertrain-66513/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: