The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
How to install rear hatch struts.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeddyLee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: How to install rear hatch struts. Reply with quote

I purchased new rear struts to replace my old ones that will not hold up the rear hatch to save its life. My question, what is needed to move the old and to install the new ones? I see what looks like a metal "pinch" band that goes around the end pieces and attaches over the joints, but I am not 100% sure.

Any tips or information will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance.
St. Louis, MO
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jlwardn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need is a small flat head screwdriver. I just did mine on Saturday and it was super easy. I would recomment having another person hold up the hatch. I did not have someone so I had to use a pole....
It should take 5-10 minutes with someone holding the door. Pull the tab out a little with the flathead screwdriver. The end will then pop off the ball it is attached to. Do the bottom one(closest to the body) first and then it will be very easy to undo the top one. Otherwise the bolts are in the way. Add the new ones in reverse order. There are several people doing this and with a quick search you will see pictures.
shv2sail

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need a #10 metric wrench as well...obviously.

I second the 'have someone help' sentiment. I did the change (with new stock struts) about a month ago...ended up just replacing one strut at at time and holding the gate up with my head as I used the tools with my hands. Lucikly I'm 6'-1" which helped...though is also the reason I had to change out the struts (for the second time) as it doesn't take much sagging of the gate before I knock my head on the darn thing. Even by myself it only took about 10 min....super easy indeed.
NVSteve
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a 6' ladder with some rolled up blankets that I have in the back to support the hatch. All you need to do is remove the clips from the lower mount, then unscrew the strut from the upper while it is still attached. I only mention this because the upper ones are a bit of a bitch, but there is no reason to remove them (unless you have new ones to replace the old).

When you put the new ones on, screw them into the upper first, then push up on the hatch a bit to connect the lower (with attached ball mount) onto the little post.
GeddyLee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the great answers! I did try a "simple" search but I guess I was inputting the wrong words to find the correct links.

Thank you all again! I will be doing this later this week.

Much appreciated again!
St. Louis, MO
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dunbrook

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: RE: How to install rear hatch struts. Reply with quote

I need to replace mine...tailgate reminded me of this with a nice goose-egg to my 6'1" high forehead Crying or Very sad

How much did you pay for the pair? Checked my local Lordco (I'm in BC) and they don't carry them, have to check with the dealer. If they're a rip I'll pick them up in the US.

thanks
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked them up today from my dealer here in Winnipeg, $72 including tax for the pair.

None of my FLAPS had them.

'05 Pathfinder SE Premium 4x4 - 250000kms - weekend warrior, Cortex Superchips on 87 Octane Tune, K&N filtercharger, Airlift 1000, Prodigy Brake controller, 7 pin trailer hookup, By-passed water/oil transmission cooler, Prostart Remote Starter, Bilstein 4600 rear shocks, BFG T/A KO 265/75/16
kelleyo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to get some that are better than OEM. Anyone know the best ones to get?
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check this post for the info you seek! Smile

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=2551&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=hatch&start=30

'05 Pathfinder SE Premium 4x4 - 250000kms - weekend warrior, Cortex Superchips on 87 Octane Tune, K&N filtercharger, Airlift 1000, Prodigy Brake controller, 7 pin trailer hookup, By-passed water/oil transmission cooler, Prostart Remote Starter, Bilstein 4600 rear shocks, BFG T/A KO 265/75/16
kelleyo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracious! Just ordered my own 225lb struts!
kelleyo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow took all of 10 minutes to install. Put a little lithium grease in the sockets as well. This is a very nice updgade. I like how the hatch opens higher than it did before and NO SAGGING!!!!
ncpath2005

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Nice Reply with quote

Just installed the McMaster struts. 20 mins tops. Thanks for the suggestion on the ladder NVSteve!
FLMom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will get to do this today! Going to have to use the ladder/towel method too. No more sagging tailgate! Woo hoo!
nachumama

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: 2006 nissan pathfinder rear hatch struts Reply with quote

Hi all, i have a 2006 nissan pathfinder and need the struts for the rear hatch door. I read that i need a 250 psi struts from some website mccuster or something like that. can you help me find this website and specifically the struts that i want? meanwhile i'll keep searching in this forum.
thanks
rs
bpk01

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: 2006 nissan pathfinder rear hatch struts Reply with quote

nachumama wrote:
Hi all, i have a 2006 nissan pathfinder and need the struts for the rear hatch door. I read that i need a 250 psi struts from some website mccuster or something like that. can you help me find this website and specifically the struts that i want? meanwhile i'll keep searching in this forum.
thanks
rs

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/1196/=lrhw3a
Those are the 225 lb struts. I like them a lot better than OEM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: