Need help for noisy pathfinder v8

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Clay350

Need help for noisy pathfinder v8

Postby Clay350 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:17 am

My pathfinder is just noisy on the highway at 75+. Its all wind noise. I think I need to replace the door seals. Is my best bet stock or are there aftermarket ones as well?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Need help for noisy pathfinder v8

Postby eieio » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:30 am

Clay350 wrote:My pathfinder is just noisy on the highway at 75+. Its all wind noise. I think I need to replace the door seals. Is my best bet stock or are there aftermarket ones as well?
tape the outside seams with masking tape to see if it makes a difference in the noise
have you done any "searching" for aftermarket door seals?

Clay350

Postby Clay350 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:30 pm

Yea last week I taped off my intake great near the windhsield wipers. I get a distinct rattle on the highway that is clearly wind related. It soulnds like its coming from the windshield wiper area. I cant figure it out for the life of me. I will tape the doors next. I have not found any aftermarket seals.

clay

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:47 pm

Roof bars? I took mine off...they're noisy.

perpetual

Postby perpetual » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:44 pm

Clay350 wrote:Yea last week I taped off my intake great near the windhsield wipers. I get a distinct rattle on the highway that is clearly wind related. It soulnds like its coming from the windshield wiper area. I cant figure it out for the life of me. I will tape the doors next. I have not found any aftermarket seals.

clay

Clay,
Is the "wind-related" noise you describe sort of like a clatter or a tapping type of a noise that gets faster and louder at higher speeds? I had the same issue with my '08 V8 LE and it turned out to be the small triangular l trim piece near the wipers on the passenger side (near the bottom of the A-pillar). The piece was flapping against the windshield at higher speeds causing that noise. All I did was apply a small piece of self-adhesive foam between the trim piece and the windshield and the noise has completely disappeared. I hope it works for you!

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:37 pm

I have noise from my 08 LE V8, however it comes only from the doors during high winds, especially cross winds. I think mine is due to worn door seals. NVsteve replaced his seals and said it fixed his wind noise in the doors. I have yet to do mine. It's on the list to look into.

dbetterred

Postby dbetterred » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:02 pm

I noticed you're from MN (cold). I get an annoying rattle in the wiper/air intake area at the base of the windshield also. I tracked my noise to a piece of ice rattling around in there. This has happened at least a couple times a year to my truck during winter. Has it happened to you in warmer weather?
The wind noise is surely your door gaskets, mine are on my 'list'.

Clay350

Postby Clay350 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:00 am

Perpetual,

Thats exactly the noise you described. For lack of a better term it sounds like an old fashion "geiger counter" in the movies. Its very annoying and even passengers ask what it is. Im exited to look at the solution you mentioned. The dealer here is convinced its behind the dash somewhere and wants to tear it apart. The noise is totally wind related. When I asked him about the wind speed correlation his response was that it is purely "coincedental". I did feel out all those pieces and they seemed tight. However I have no idea what the air is doing around there. I will try your suggestion. It is a possibility a piece of ice or something is in the intake. It is less prone for sure on warm days.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:45 am

if its from the door seals, here's a small tip you can try i learnt off an old-school bodyshop owner.

open the door, put your knee on it, and pull the top of the door towards you, like you're trying to bend it. 2 or 3 quick tugs and ur wind noise is significantly reduced if not gone.

perpetual

Postby perpetual » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:54 am

Clay350 wrote:Perpetual,

Thats exactly the noise you described. For lack of a better term it sounds like an old fashion "geiger counter" in the movies. Its very annoying and even passengers ask what it is. Im exited to look at the solution you mentioned. The dealer here is convinced its behind the dash somewhere and wants to tear it apart. The noise is totally wind related. When I asked him about the wind speed correlation his response was that it is purely "coincedental". I did feel out all those pieces and they seemed tight. However I have no idea what the air is doing around there. I will try your suggestion. It is a possibility a piece of ice or something is in the intake. It is less prone for sure on warm days.
Clay,
Don't let the dealer tear apart the dash! My trim pieces were pretty tight too, but if you can pull it up enough to pry it away from the windshield, that's enough to cause the "flapping". Just as a test, stick a piece of cardboard between the trim and the windshield and take it out for a test run... that's what I did to figure out the source of this annoying tapping noise. Apparently a lot of wind blows through that area of the windshield... whether if the wind is coming through the grill or underside of the vehicle, I don't know... but it was enough to make my hood move at higher speeds (until I adjusted the rubber stoppers). Let me know if it works.

Clay350

Postby Clay350 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:06 pm

Thanks perpetual that solved my problem. Its amazing how bad and inept dealers and younger techs are at troubleshooting. Now i just have to focus on the doors.

booradley

Wind Noise

Postby booradley » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:30 pm

I have the same wind noise coming from the area of the lower right edge of the windshield. Sounds like a b-b in a can. A distinct hard tapping sound. It might be that small black plastic piece that is wedged under the larger center cowl piece. I see someone else had this noise. The foam strip under this plastic is dirty and hard, not cushioning. It really rattles about 65 MPH on the open road, and especially in cross winds.
So tell me what worked? I do not think it is the door seal on a 2012 with only 3000 miles, they seem tight, no water entering, that plastic piece seems to be the cause. I would love to just put a dab of silicone sealant under it, to affix it for good, but I believe it must drain water from the windshield. Seems so basic, but very annoying, and turning up the radio is not an option.

Clay350

Postby Clay350 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:58 am

I just put a piece of two sided tape between the windshield and plastic piece. Solved the problem.

booradley

Wind Noise

Postby booradley » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:14 am

Thanks, I have some automotive two sided tape, I will put it towards the bottom, under the hood, so the top edge fits tight against the windshield. I was going to buy a roll of one sided medium density foam tape, 1/16" or 1/8" but he roll is 75" long and I need about 2" or maybe 4" if I screw up and must reapply, seems the two sided tape is the answer. Thanks very much.

booradley

Windshield Noise

Postby booradley » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:18 pm

Took the truck to my body shop today and he re-fastened that small black plastic end piece. The double face tape holding it to the windshield side frame had failed. So he fastened it properly. Replacing that small piece via purchasing it from the dealer is my next choice if this fails, but I feel it should be fine. I did test for the noise, since we have tape holding the piece in until tomorrow, and the tape is blocking all wind and the noise is not existent, so that is the problem, one small piece of black plastic, making highway driving annoying.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”