The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Replacing rear bumper cover - what to do?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spamcan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Replacing rear bumper cover - what to do? Reply with quote

I was rear-ended in a storm last month which for the most part just cracked my rear bumper cover. Her insurance paid the quoted price for full replacement (cash in the bank now). And now I'm contemplating 3 things.
1. Do I just live with the cracked cover? You can barely tell it's broken, but the 2 brackets underneath by the hitch are hanging.
2. Do I buy a new cover and get it painted somewhere? It's pretty easy to remove/replace.
3. Or what I'm REALLY contemplating, getting one that's "black" primed and putting it on like that. My Xterra has that kind of stock plastic look and I like it.

Has anyone put on their bumper cover as plain/primed? Got pics of how it looks? I thought of maybe even doing a Hurculiner/Rhino Lining treatment as well since my dog tends to scratch things up.

And what bumper cover do you recommend? I've seen so many different types on eBay, Courtesy/Fontana and other sites.

Thanks in advance!
2009 Suzuki C50SE Dk/Lt Grey (well customized)
1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100 (in parts being rebuilt)
Spamcan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump...c'mon, any thoughts? Y'all are usually full of ideas and opinions! Wink
GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My front and rear bumper are bedlined also sombody else on the forum has their rear one bedlined, but i cant remember who. I like the way mine looks with it bedlined.
2005 Pathfinder 4x4*AFE cai*Flo-Pro V Force exhaust*H2 tire carrier*Custom lightbar*optima yellow top*HD cargo tie downs*interior hatch release*stealthed wheels, headlights, grill and rear trim*bedlined bumpers*All Day Fab 2" front spacers*Rancho quick lift rear spacers*ABS Bypass switch*
www.myinteriormagic.com
POTM November 2010**WINNER**
Spamcan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GOTGOO. Got any pics?
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife rear ended someone lightly with our path. Bumper cover didn't get cracked, but it moves alot more now. I decided to leave it until it bugs me too much, then go for the replacement.

'05 Pathfinder SE Premium 4x4 - 210000kms - weekend warrior, Cortex Superchips on 87 Octane Tune, K&N filtercharger, Airlift 1000, Prodigy Brake controller, 7 pin trailer hookup, By-passed water/oil transmission cooler, Prostart Remote Starter, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, BFG T/A KO 265/75/16
GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spamcan wrote:
Thanks GOTGOO. Got any pics?

I have pics of mine you'll just have to pretend theres not a tire carrier coming out of it. Heres mine. http://thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=3563&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30 I'm trying to find the other guys.
2005 Pathfinder 4x4*AFE cai*Flo-Pro V Force exhaust*H2 tire carrier*Custom lightbar*optima yellow top*HD cargo tie downs*interior hatch release*stealthed wheels, headlights, grill and rear trim*bedlined bumpers*All Day Fab 2" front spacers*Rancho quick lift rear spacers*ABS Bypass switch*
www.myinteriormagic.com
GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i found socal4x's pathy.

www.myinteriormagic.com
Spamcan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I gotta go the bedliner route. Love the look, and with my dark gray (storm gray) color, I bet it'll look good. At least IMHO.

What bedliner did you use?

And any suggestions on what new bumper cover to get or avoid? I see some bad reviews on some from China (surprise, surprise). So I'll avoid those.
GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spamcan wrote:
Yea, I gotta go the bedliner route. Love the look, and with my dark gray (storm gray) color, I bet it'll look good. At least IMHO.

What bedliner did you use?

And any suggestions on what new bumper cover to get or avoid? I see some bad reviews on some from China (surprise, surprise). So I'll avoid those.

I used duplicolor spray on in a can and socal4x had his line-xed. Post some pics of your bumper cause it might be fixable.
www.myinteriormagic.com
Spamcan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, will look for that Duplicolor spray on.

I was thinking of attempting to repair it, but I think the cracks or whatnot are too extensive. I could be wrong though. Maybe with some bolted or riveted on metal plates backing behind? Here's the pics:

The right side. Possibly patchable with a backing plate and crack covered with the bedliner.

Under the right side by the hitch. Possibly patchable with plate and don't care of looks since it's underneath.

And the worst one that makes me think unrepairable, at the hatch, right side. It would take some good customization, I think.

Otherwise the rest is kinda just cosmetic - scratched and whatnot.
NVRDONE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Felton's Auto Wrecking in Snohomish WA. They specalise in Nissan's & may have a good one color matched. 360-563-9315
Spamcan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks NVRDONE!
Spamcan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Felton's didn't have any bumper covers. So I'm now searching for which to get. I did find a decent priced ($178) and sounding one made by Action Crash at PartsGeekcom: it's CAPA Certified (that's good) and Platinum Plus quality (whatever that means).
http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/AC/18396-04022691.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_term=2005-2007+Nissan+Pathfinder+Bumper+Cover+Rear+Action+Crash+Capa+Certified+Platinum+Plus+05-07+Nissan+Bumper+Cover+2006+06&utm_content=AYY&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base

Anyone know if this is legit or worthy? Otherwise I'll probably order OEM from Courtesy at $300.
pawjr74

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a CAPA rear cover for my 2005 Pathfinder for $145.00 at Keystone.
That is a wholesale price. If you call and talk to them they may hook you up with at better price.

Punch in your zip and you can find a Keystone close to you.

http://www.keystone-auto.com/locations.aspx
Spamcan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thought pawjr74. Called an no joy. Guess I'm gonna try the one from PartsGeek.

[EDIT] - Forget that, PartsGeek wants $120 just for shipping. That would be a total over $300. Found one on eBay for $246 total.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: