Replacing rear bumper cover - what to do?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

bkmtnff

Postby bkmtnff » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:42 pm

Spamcan wrote:Good thought pawjr74. Called an no joy. Guess I'm gonna try the one from PartsGeek.

[EDIT] - Forget that, PartsGeek wants $120 just for shipping. That would be a total over $300. Found one on eBay for $246 total.
Roger that, I thought I found a real deal until I saw the shipping. I'm still driving around with a wrecked rear bumper cover. With my luck, I would get rear ended driving home from the body shop.

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:13 pm

try car-part.com

I'd get it one and paint it to match, not crazy about the black bumper look, reminds me of a 90's LExus ES300 with the two tone look.

PhatFront

Postby PhatFront » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:50 pm

I just kept a look out on he net till I found an OEM that was scratched up on Ebay.
Cost me $165 shipped. and it worked out great.

those breaks dont look too bad. you could probably use a Poxy and fix those up if you plan on spray-bombing it.

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:11 pm

I finally got my replacement bumper and am ready to "bedliner" it. I've seen some that say spray the liner (from cans), others that have rolled, and some that went to commercial shops (Rhino, Line-X, etc.).

For those that have done it, or in the know, what is your suggested method? I was just gonna get a 1 gallon can of Herculiner from the local auto parts and roll it with a 4" roller. But I'm open to what's worked and not.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:25 am

First off I recommend taking a scotch brite pad and some Comet and scuffing the entire new bumper cover. You don't want to see any shiny plastic. Rinse it very well and clean it with alcohol. Then apply a good plastic primer.

I recommend a spray on bed liner material for even uniformity. I don't know how well you will be able to roll the bedliner material on the buper cover. There are some rattle can style applications that you can buy that work well and don't cost too much.

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:04 am

Luckily the bumper came primered and "ready to paint". You can see the difference from the outside and inside.

Are the cans available at auto stores too? Or where?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:15 am

Spamcan wrote:Luckily the bumper came primered and "ready to paint". You can see the difference from the outside and inside.

Are the cans available at auto stores too? Or where?
I haven't tried the spray myself, but I did use the roll on Herculiner on my sliders. That will leave a super chunky finish, so you might not want to go that route.

As to the spray liners, have a look at Lowes or Home Depot. I believe it was Rustoleum that I saw, but someone had some funky textured paint in various colors (spray cans), in addition to the regular black bedliner-ish sprays.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:16 am

That's good that it came primed. You still want to lightly scuff it and clean it with alcohol. Try not to break through the primer scuffing it.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:33 pm

I used dupli-color rattle can on mine. As far as prep I used a burgundy/red scotch bright pad and I cleaned it with acetone. Since yours is primed I might stay away from the acetone. Let us know how it turns out.

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:48 pm

Awesome, thanks all!! I don't want it too chunky, so I'll look at the cans. I'll post pics when done.

artie1968

Postby artie1968 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:24 am

My wife rear ended somebody the other day basically punched a hole in the front bumper. Is it easy to replace? it doesnt look hard, i just dont want to start and then 4 hours later have the whole front end off.
any help appreciated.
thanks!

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Wed May 04, 2011 6:05 am

artie1968 wrote:My wife rear ended somebody the other day basically punched a hole in the front bumper. Is it easy to replace? it doesnt look hard, i just dont want to start and then 4 hours later have the whole front end off.
any help appreciated.
thanks!
I had the bumper on my '06 replaced three years ago. Although I don't have hands-on experience, I know that it isn't a cake walk. There are clips and screws and pop rivets scattered all around the thing. The pop rivets have to be drilled out. I know for a fact that the grill and headlights have to be removed in order to access all those things, as well as the black trim pieces along the lower edge. I had NO sheet metal damage, yet it took three body shop guys to "persuade" the new bumper to fit right. And, yes, it was OEM Nissan, not aftermarket.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed May 04, 2011 11:43 am

SilverGhost wrote:
artie1968 wrote:My wife rear ended somebody the other day basically punched a hole in the front bumper. Is it easy to replace? it doesnt look hard, i just dont want to start and then 4 hours later have the whole front end off.
any help appreciated.
thanks!
I had the bumper on my '06 replaced three years ago. Although I don't have hands-on experience, I know that it isn't a cake walk. There are clips and screws and pop rivets scattered all around the thing. The pop rivets have to be drilled out. I know for a fact that the grill and headlights have to be removed in order to access all those things, as well as the black trim pieces along the lower edge. I had NO sheet metal damage, yet it took three body shop guys to "persuade" the new bumper to fit right. And, yes, it was OEM Nissan, not aftermarket.
Persuade is not a good word to use. That would make me question the quality of the bumper and maybe the body shop.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Wed May 04, 2011 12:36 pm

volvite wrote:Persuade is not a good word to use. That would make me question the quality of the bumper and maybe the body shop.
Read whatever you chose into my comments. My point was that replacing the front bumper is not a simple 30 minute R&R.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed May 04, 2011 12:55 pm

SilverGhost wrote:
volvite wrote:Persuade is not a good word to use. That would make me question the quality of the bumper and maybe the body shop.
Read whatever you chose into my comments. My point was that replacing the front bumper is not a simple 30 minute R&R.
Sorry that came off wrong. I was not questioning your post. What I was meaning is that an OEM part should not have to be adjusted (persuaded) into position. Just like you said. It should just be a remove/replace situation without having to modify/adjust to fit.

Hopefully your fix is good to go.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”