Squeaking from the rear end when driving in reverse

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

oreogaborio

Squeaking from the rear end when driving in reverse

Postby oreogaborio » Thu May 05, 2011 9:41 am

When driving in reverse I get a "squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak" and the rate increases/decreases according to my speed.

I haven't had a chance to climb under there yet to take a look, but has anyone has had similar symptoms and know what it could be? Figure it's worth asking about to see if it's a common issue.

aadadams

Re: Squeaking from the rear end when driving in reverse

Postby aadadams » Thu May 05, 2011 10:47 am

oreogaborio wrote:When driving in reverse I get a "squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak" and the rate increases/decreases according to my speed.

I haven't had a chance to climb under there yet to take a look, but has anyone has had similar symptoms and know what it could be? Figure it's worth asking about to see if it's a common issue.
Check the brake pads... At least that is what I would check first.

Tech

Postby Tech » Thu May 05, 2011 9:49 pm

Check your u-joints and the rear drive shaft. (some have an internal noise in the shaft itself).

I say you spend the money on developing some elbow sliders for your next Spies impression....nice pic!

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Fri May 06, 2011 7:36 am

aadadams wrote:Check the brake pads... At least that is what I would check first.
I thought that, but it doesn't sound like pads... and the location of it sounds like it's coming more from the middle than the sides. I'll definitely take a peek at em once I find some time to get under there though. Thanks.
Tech wrote:Check your u-joints and the rear drive shaft. (some have an internal noise in the shaft itself).

I say you spend the money on developing some elbow sliders for your next Spies impression....nice pic!
Hahah, thanks. Pic taken at Loudon NH by a buddy of mine who's a photographer.

Okay, u-joins and drive shaft added to the list of things to check.

Now if I can just find a way to get UNDER the car WHILE it's backing up :wink: Might have to get some wheel chocks for the front, put the rear end up on jackstands and throw it in reverse.

Tech

Postby Tech » Fri May 06, 2011 7:50 am

you can try that, but the ones I've seen don't make the noise when they're not loaded. I guess if it doesn't make a noise on stands, it helps point to it.

The u-joints you can check loaded or not.

bwareheim

Postby bwareheim » Fri May 06, 2011 11:49 am

i think its the squealers from the brakes telling you its time for new ones

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Fri May 06, 2011 12:01 pm

It's quite possible, but I have my doubts... sounds more like a squeaky matress, if ya know what i mean :wink:

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”