replacing fan clutch/coupling - How to's

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:20 pm

disallow wrote:
JAHBLESSINGS wrote:Just recently changed my fan clutch also. I did mine with just removing the intake tube and loosing the two top shroud bolts. I then push the shroud enough to get my hands to reach the bolts. Took me about 20 minutes. Advice to pathy owners. beware of aftermarket clutch fans as I bought one and it was loud as hell I ended up returning it and got a oem one. The noise was unbearable.
Noisy in what way? Did it create interference with your fan shroud? Or was it spinning faster than the OEM one?

t
the aftermarket just stayed engaged. i would hear it with the windows up and music on. i went to work one day and pulled into the parking lot and all i hear was the fan. it was louder than the semi trucks that frequent my job. :shock:

curvecrazy

Stupid question but????

Postby curvecrazy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:21 pm

My 05 pathfinder fan runs all the time from startup to shut down and no in between. Its loud as can be and my mileage is seeming to be low at about 15mpg typical. Do all of these just do that or is my fan clutch stuck in engaged mode? I am thinking it must be stuck cause otherwise it would stop spinning when the engines dead cold for example. Starts right up and spins hard with the key... Pretty annoying really and loud.

MN 06 Pathfinder

Postby MN 06 Pathfinder » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:45 pm

I did the same fix today on my 06 LE. Just loosened the shroud and didn't bother removing the electric fan. Woulda taken an hour or so but 2 of the 4 10mm nuts on the fan clutch were rounded! Hand-held torch, PB Blaster, lots of pounding, vise-grips, and a trip to Advance Auto for 2 more nuts and a stud (grrr!) and she doesn't sound like a freight train for the first time since I got her in August of '11 with 96K (now 103K).

BERGS2

Postby BERGS2 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:11 am

Thanks for the write up - did the same for my '05 this weekend.

Took me a while, but following the write up made it all pretty straight-forward!

One thing i would say is unless you have the hands/arms of a marmoset, for the most part I would not recommend this without removal of the fan shroud.

I started down this route - shredded my hands a couple of times - then dropped the lower cover to unhook the pipes that are clipped to the bottom/side of the fan shroud.

It is lovely being able to hear the motor now - rather than just the fan!

Image|http://thumbsnap.com/cu52eE6e[/img]

BERGS2

Postby BERGS2 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:18 am

Oh - one more thing - this was quite a useful resource as well: http://nissan4u.com/parts/pathfinder/el ... tration_3/

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:48 pm

Anyone have issues with Beck Arnley fan clutches? I bought one a little over a year ago and it already needs replacing again.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:50 pm

Have heard simialr stories. Wonder who makes them for Nissan?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:49 pm

If I had to take a wild guess, I would probably say "Aisin" makes them as they make a lot of Nissans water pumps and other items, as well. But like I said, that's just a guess.

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:58 pm

Replaced it again... yay. Let's hope this one holds up for more than 14 months. :roll:

Side note: I don't see how ANYONE can remove that damn shroud with the fan or even just the clutch in place.... WTF :?:

The only way I could remove or replace the shroud was by removing the fan clutch. No way, no how was that thing going in or out w/ it still in there. I tried rotating, twisting, shoving, jamming... wasn't happning.

What I did was remove the electric fan & lower shroud, then just lift, rotate and push the main shroud back to get access.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:13 am

Replaced my fan clutch yesterday. Took about an hour (including interruptions by these really annoying short people that wouldn't just go play, lol) and I didn't remove the shroud. I'm 6'2" with what I consider rather large hands, and had no issues getting into remove the bolts and nuts.

I bought the part from AutoPartsWAY.ca and it was branded NPW, (Nissan Pump Works, supposedly the OE supplier), and cost about $180 including shipping. It is identical in appearance to the one in the pic at the top of this post, so they must make the parts for Beck-Arnley, and it's definitely not the same as the one I removed, which was the factory original.

The fan is now louder then ever at low speeds. However, my overall Engine Load, as measured by my Superchips tuner, is now about 10% lower than before at highway speed, from 60% to 50%. So it appears to have worked at high engine speeds, but I'm quite unhappy about how it performs at low speed. It's just so damn loud!

I have sent a complaint to the supplier, but am wondering there is a 'wearing in' period for this part.

Thoughts?
T

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:37 am

I've heard of NPW...National Performance Warehouse...but never heard of "Nissan Pump Works" nor have known either one to be an OEM supplier to Nissan. If it doesn't look exactly like the factory original, they might be an OEM supplier of parts to somebody, but likely not Nissan. The term "OE" and "OEM" get thrown around a lot with parts but don't necessarily guarantee the company is the supplier of that specific part to your specific vehicle manufacturer, only that they make original equipment parts for somebody. They could be an OEM supplier of parts to a lawn mower company, for all we know, but they'll still make the claim of OEM supplier.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:00 am

Here is the site for where I bought the clutch:

http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartList.cfm ... enum1/tabS

and here is NPW's website:

http://www.npw-mfg.co.jp/

as to whether they are the OEM manufacturer, I have no idea. In any case, as I said, the part looks identical to CliffJumper's part in his pic at the top of the post, and it does not perform in the expected way, though it does seem to have reduced overall engine load when barelling down the highway at 70MPH.

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:36 am

Aaaand I need to replace mine again. :roll:

Third one in three summers. :? Getting ready to do the electric fan conversion but I do'nt wanna eat that 4-500 dollar bill yet.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:15 pm

Warranty on parts at least?

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:36 pm

Possibly a 12 month warranty. Gotta see if I can dig up the email I got from the seller.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”