Blinking 4WD shift indicator light

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

kivanov

Blinking 4WD shift indicator light

Postby kivanov » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:11 am

Hi all, I have R51 Pathfinder 2008 with 170k km, but recently I'm very unhappy because I have issue with blinking 4WD shift indicator light in the dashboard. My mechanic was working on that for more than 2 months at the end we changed whole transfer box, but after few hours the blinking started again. There is no pattern for the blinking. And after longer journey 4WD indicator is turned on (constant light, not blinking) and I'm not able to change from 2WD to anything else before restarting the car. Anyone with this problem?

You can see video of the problem here:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aul67mx7hTdrle0iznL5goc2flDkfw

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:35 pm

Do you have the AUTO mode transfer case or the standard transfer case? Do you have the stored trouble codes for the transfer case? If not, try this procedure:

1. Warm up engine.
2. Move A/T selector lever to “P†position.
3. Turn 4WD shift switch to “2WD†position.
4. Turn ignition switch “ON†and “OFF†at least twice, and then turn ignition switch “OFFâ€.
5. Turn 4WD shift switch to “AUTO†position.
6. Turn ignition switch “ONâ€. (Do not start engine.)
7. 4WD warning lamp ON.
If 4WD warning lamp does not turn ON, refer to TF-122, "4WD Warning Lamp Does Not Turn ON" .
8. Move A/T selector lever to “R†position.
9. Turn 4WD shift switch to “2WDâ€, “AUTO†and “2WD†in order.
10. Move A/T selector lever to “D†position.
11. Turn 4WD shift switch to “LOCKâ€, “AUTO†and “LOCK†in order.
12. Move A/T selector lever to “N†position.
13. Turn 4WD shift switch to “AUTO†position.
14. Move A/T selector lever to “P†position.
15. Read the flickering of 4WD warning lamp.

kivanov

Postby kivanov » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:02 am

smj999smj wrote:Do you have the AUTO mode transfer case or the standard transfer case? Do you have the stored trouble codes for the transfer case? If not, try this procedure:

1. Warm up engine.
2. Move A/T selector lever to “P†position.
3. Turn 4WD shift switch to “2WD†position.
4. Turn ignition switch “ON†and “OFF†at least twice, and then turn ignition switch “OFFâ€.
5. Turn 4WD shift switch to “AUTO†position.
6. Turn ignition switch “ONâ€. (Do not start engine.)
7. 4WD warning lamp ON.
If 4WD warning lamp does not turn ON, refer to TF-122, "4WD Warning Lamp Does Not Turn ON" .
8. Move A/T selector lever to “R†position.
9. Turn 4WD shift switch to “2WDâ€, “AUTO†and “2WD†in order.
10. Move A/T selector lever to “D†position.
11. Turn 4WD shift switch to “LOCKâ€, “AUTO†and “LOCK†in order.
12. Move A/T selector lever to “N†position.
13. Turn 4WD shift switch to “AUTO†position.
14. Move A/T selector lever to “P†position.
15. Read the flickering of 4WD warning lamp.
Hello, Yes I have auto mode, but 2WD is the default one. I will try to read the error code, but my mechanic is reading ECU&Transmission Control Unit with some fancy Nissan stuff and I suppose that he would find it, but he said that no error is recorded.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:58 pm

On the models with the AUTO mode transfer cases, there is a transfer motor relay located in the engine compartment, on the left side of the vehicle, near the back; on North American models, it would be not far from the brake booster and is mounted using a bracket attached to the side of the engine compartment with a single, 10MM head bolt. The relay is P/N 25237-EA000 and made in Japan by Jideco and will have two, 2-pin, harness connectors plugged into it. On Armadas, they frequently fail and cause problems with the air suspension, however, on R51 Pathfinder LE's, the are used to provide power to the electric fluid transfer pump in the transfer case. When they fail, they can cause problems similar to yours, and will trigger transfer case line pressure codes. Sometimes, you can unplug the connectors from the relay, clean up the male pins with a small file or some sandpaper and tighten the female pins using a dental pick or similar tool and get it to work, if there is a poor contact situation, which sometimes occurs. If the relay is bad, then the only option is to replace it; it comes with the bracket and they run about $25. Whether this is your problem, it's difficult to say without knowing what trouble codes are stored. You could always clean up the pins/ tighten the terminals as I described and see what happens, as that doesn't cost anything but a few minutes labor.

kivanov

Postby kivanov » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:03 am

smj999smj wrote:On the models with the AUTO mode transfer cases, there is a transfer motor relay located in the engine compartment, on the left side of the vehicle, near the back; on North American models, it would be not far from the brake booster and is mounted using a bracket attached to the side of the engine compartment with a single, 10MM head bolt. The relay is P/N 25237-EA000 and made in Japan by Jideco and will have two, 2-pin, harness connectors plugged into it. On Armadas, they frequently fail and cause problems with the air suspension, however, on R51 Pathfinder LE's, the are used to provide power to the electric fluid transfer pump in the transfer case. When they fail, they can cause problems similar to yours, and will trigger transfer case line pressure codes. Sometimes, you can unplug the connectors from the relay, clean up the male pins with a small file or some sandpaper and tighten the female pins using a dental pick or similar tool and get it to work, if there is a poor contact situation, which sometimes occurs. If the relay is bad, then the only option is to replace it; it comes with the bracket and they run about $25. Whether this is your problem, it's difficult to say without knowing what trouble codes are stored. You could always clean up the pins/ tighten the terminals as I described and see what happens, as that doesn't cost anything but a few minutes labor.
Update:
Not fixed yet.

What was done:
1. Transfer case was replaced (second hand)
2. Transfer case ECU was changed (then reverted back to mine)
3. All cables from Transfer case to Transfer case ECU are checked
4. The position of all wheels is correct
5. No error in ECU
6. ABS is ok
7. EPS is ok

Other changes(made before the problem)
ECU was reprogrammed to disable DPF.

The mechanic told me that probably it is a software issue and no one can fix it in Bulgaria

Graham W

Postby Graham W » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:37 am

Its not one of the 3 switches on the transfer box and gearbox?

There is one next to the neutral position switch and two on the transfer box.
These wear and cause issues. Worth a check maybe??

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”