Trans defaulting to 3rd

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Budrbean

Trans defaulting to 3rd

Postby Budrbean » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:55 pm

So I have noticed now that when my trans jerks and sticks in 3rd (limp mode), it seems to only do this when raining. The code it throws is something to do with a solenoid. So I am guessing a short or bad connection. Can I remove the wiring harness and put dielectric grease in it to protect from moisture? You know like the stuff you use on headlights? This may not be the issue, but I sure hope so cause finding a short otherwise could be a royal PITA!

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:23 pm

I don't see the problem using a little dielectric grease.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:05 am

Can I remove the wiring harness and put dielectric grease in it to protect from moisture?
Try it, it aint gonna hurt anything. The connector is on the trans housing, passenger side, pointing upwards towards the bottom of the floor. Be patient to figure out the connnector, it is a pain. When you figure out the snap release connection, it will easily come off.
If worse comes to worse, see my topic on replacing the valve body to get rid of that code. I hope you dont have to go there.

http://thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=4910

The Valve body retails for $990. Add 8 bottles of fluid @ $10.82 each and the trans pan gasket for $25.47... Those are the parts alone. I did the job myself and it wasnt too bad, but I am not scared of a little transmission work.

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:57 pm

Well the trans itself is warrantied for another 8K miles so if its valve body Ill take it in. Its through a secondary warranty company and when I had the trans replaced, it took 3 1/2 weeks just to get them to approve the claim. I figure if its something minor I can fix it myself and save the hassle and price of rental car.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”