The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
A/C compressor clutch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShipFixer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: A/C compressor clutch Reply with quote

Has anyone tried replacing their compressor clutch/pulley without removing the compressor itself? It looks like there's enough room to do it if I take out the fan shroud, wheel well liner and a couple other things.

Now that warm weather is here and the A/C is kicking in, it reminded me that I need to do something about that warbling bearing noise...
volvite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you haven't posted this for very long, but looks like you get to be the test to see if it can be done. Good luck.
Tech

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can do it....it's a tremendous pain in the butt.

Some pulleys have a shallow allen or torx bolt....all have loctite....the belt wont hold the pulley, so you'll either need the special tool to hold it, or block it with a bar or something. The shims are also select thickness. DO NOT lose them. Are you sure the PULLEY is the source of your noise? The is a cleaning procedure...more of less take a can of electrical cleaner to the clutch for 30 seconds.

Anyone selling their "wood-grain"?

YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF ME, I DON'T EXIST!!
ShipFixer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the clutch. The warbling noise (high pitch spinning noise inside the engine bay, annoying warble inside the truck) switches on and off with the compressor. I was unaware that you could clean it and didn't see that in the service manual, is there something you can point me too? By electrical cleaner do you mean contact cleaner? (Will the can of MAF cleaner I just picked up from Autozone work?)

I was going for clutch replacement as kind of a "whatever it is short of a bad compressor, this will fix it" approach.
Tech

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's a service procedure sent to dealers which is more or less, spraying brake cleaner/maf cleaner/electrical contact cleaner for i think 10 seconds the first time (car off). cycle a couple times after drying out, then 20-30s spray. Also make sure the charge and compressor oil is where it should be. If you had a recharge done in past, and oil wan't added/checked you could be low. I think a compressor is about a grand.

FYI - check belt and tensioner too. I've had tensioners go bad and the minor flapping belt made a weird droning noise. Maybe the extra load of compressor could contribute?

ShipFixer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the droning noise kind of mid to high pitched? I did have several recharges by Nissan when I had my radiator issue (a/c was switching on and off, culprit was a plugged radiator but they chased a/c problems for a week first) but it was making this noise before that. They did a full drain and refill as part of that to fix a minor leak at the condenser while the radiator was out too.

I have a new belt and could get a tensioner from Nissan locally. I'll give that a shot first.

For the spraying part, where do you spray it in...between the pulley and the cover on the end where the special tool would go?

Part of my problem is just being on the road between now and transferring overseas in June, I don't have as regular access to a garage to take things apart. Even leaving it at Nissan is kind of problematic since I'm living out of it...hoping to do as much as possible in one shot, belt, MAF and this stupid compressor noise...
ShipFixer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the tensioner does move a bit when the compressor switches on and vibrates more...is that normal on these? Belt remains tight and I have no belt squeal or anything other people have changed tensioners for.

Hard to tell with the auto stethoscope but it sounds like the noise is located closer to the compressor itself, hence my poking at the clutch.
Tech

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tough to say without being there. The tensioner should move just a bit when the load comes on. Look an the runs of belt between pulley's, excessive "flapping" causes a noise. if you can safely do it, you might be able to play with the tension on the tensioner using the 3/8 drive on the tensioner and a breaker bar.....see if that changes the noise.

as for the spray, it's supposed to go between the magnetic clutch parts. Just behind the parts that spin when you engage the a/c.

FYI - if your shop uses an ACR5 machine - there is no provision for adding oil. If you had a couple recharges, could be low. Might be worth while to go to an a/c shop that can evac/chg/add oil - should be about 40min actual time.

eieio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes a "spritz" of water at the suspect area will make a temporary difference in the noise
this might be an aid to find specifically where the noise is coming from

"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
ShipFixer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried spraying the clutch with MAF cleaner. Not entirely sure but it may have been temporarily better. (It may also have been the spray hitting the belt...but I'm replacing that this weekend anyway.)

Got the engine hot while finally fixing my dash rattle, so I didn't want to try spraying again. Will definitely give it another try though...this is way easier than a clutch change out! Thanks!
Tech

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink
anytime! Glad it worked out!

ShipFixer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the noise is still there after a new belt and more spraying. Hard to tell if its better or not since its a subtle noise inside the cabin anyway. However I did discover that the tensioner pulley has a lot of play in it (not obvious when its tight against the belt of course) so I'll be replacing that soon.

That may be the source of the warbling noise, but it still sounds like its in or near the compressor with the scope. And the high pitched noise is still in the compressor when the clutch is engaged. Gonna fix these things with one thing or another though!
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it. Are you asking a question?

'05 Pathfinder SE Premium 4x4 - 250000kms - weekend warrior, Cortex Superchips on 87 Octane Tune, K&N filtercharger, Airlift 1000, Prodigy Brake controller, 7 pin trailer hookup, By-passed water/oil transmission cooler, Prostart Remote Starter, Bilstein 4600 rear shocks, BFG T/A KO 265/75/16
tireboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeahhh.. can you suggest sir what to do?
eieio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tireboy wrote:
yeahhh.. can you suggest sir what to do?

about what?

"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: