2.8L I-4 Diesel for 2014 Titan from Cummins

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Would you buy a Nissan with a Cummins diesel engine in it?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:47 am

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes: 7

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:47 am

Probably a $5-6k touch, but this really interests me. I don't need HP, I need torque! Wonder if it will cross over to the Armada or Xterra? Some cool pics of the install...

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/05/30/cu ... or-nissan/
Cummins developing 28-mpg 2.8-liter 4-cylinder diesel for Nissan Titan
Is Nissan hunting for a fuel-efficient diesel engine to stuff between the fenders of its Titan pickup truck? Well, according to Automotive News (sub. req.), that seems to be the case.

Thanks to $15 million in funding from the U.S. Department of Energy, Cummins is developing a 2.8-liter four-cylinder diesel engine aimed at boosting fuel efficiency by 40 percent compared to the current crop of V8 mills in use in light-duty trucks.

Cummins is shooting for a combined rating of 28 miles per gallon, meaning that the diesel-equipped Titan would return more than 30 mpg on the highway without sacrificing power, since Cummins is reportedly targeting 220 horsepower and 380 pound-feet of torque. The prototype engine supposedly cranks out a whopping 350 pound-feet of torque at a mere 1,800 rpm. Development of this fuel-efficient, oil-burning mill should be complete by September 2014.

TheRude1

Postby TheRude1 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:47 pm

Very cool

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:18 am

I know for awhile they were going to replace the Titan with a re-badged Dodge truck until that fell through. I guess it's be better to have a Nissan made truck with a Cummins engine than re-badged RAM. You would think Nissan, being that they already make their own diesel engines, could develope one for the Titan...but I guess it's a matter of dollars and cents!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:36 pm

smj999smj wrote:I know for awhile they were going to replace the Titan with a re-badged Dodge truck until that fell through. I guess it's be better to have a Nissan made truck with a Cummins engine than re-badged RAM. You would think Nissan, being that they already make their own diesel engines, could develope one for the Titan...but I guess it's a matter of dollars and cents!
Its all about the differences between european and US emissions standards. Honda make diesels everywhere else too, but couldn't make one work here with SCR (urea) and many manufacturers won't go that way (urea).

Firetartan

Postby Firetartan » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:37 pm

Personally, I really hope to see the Nissan Titan follow through with this program. The odds are looking favorable. Being in the states, I hate being restricted to what is available considering the global market...for example how Nissan (Toyota, Ford, and Honda) have all been doing diesel for years. And if I'm not mistaken, Nissan DOES have a diesel engine in the states but its part of the UD Trucks corp. A little overkill for the day-to-day half ton truck, but still available nonetheless. I've been waiting for the day that an SUV/Midsize Truck/Half-ton pick up offers a smaller diesel engine to become available in the states. When I heard Mahindra might be offering this format in states, I was stoked. But then the deal went sour and the whole plan crumbled to pieces. So, back to square one and the rumors are out again that Nissan is picking up the slack and I will surely be anticipating the debut of the Cummins/Titan to be available. Now, if there is ANYONE that has any influence with Nissan USA, please for the love of God, listen to me! Go above and beyond what the other full size truck companies (Ford, GM, Toyota, & Dodge) are doing, and offer this Cummins/Titan package in a MANUAL TRANSMISSION! I beg of you! As much as it breaks my heart to potentially not be able to buy a stick shift, I will surely plan on buying this Cummins/Titan pick up if/when available. I'm glad to see the American market (especially NISSAN USA)FINALLY come to its sense and offer this dynamite package! If they pull this off, I will certainly be a Nissan customer for life, and know several guys who will switch from their "brand loyal" 4x4's!!
[/b][/quote]

tlee_20

Postby tlee_20 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:17 pm

They ditched this idea. I was really looking forward to it but heard it was not happening.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:00 pm

Source?

tlee_20

Postby tlee_20 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:32 pm

Nissan north america

Return to “General Automotive”