New Owner Please help

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

robgeo1

New Owner Please help

Postby robgeo1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:18 am

Hi everyone. Just picked up a 2006 Path SE with 67000 miles. My first order of business was to get this thing under control as much as possible. I ordered the 18" rims from the 2010 LE, Continental CrossContact 275/60/18, 30mm spacers, Air Lift 1000 and Bilstein HD's.
My question is can I add the H&R springs with this setup?
Thanks in advance!! :D

robgeo1

Also I should mention

Postby robgeo1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:07 am

I live in South Florida where there are no hills and I won't be doing any offroading. I want to make it as good-handling as possible.
Thanks again

robgeo1

Called Air Lift Company

Postby robgeo1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:18 am

They said the compressed lowering spring would probably not be a good fit for the air bags. However- he said if you put the lowering springs in and took some measurements of the compressed springs he could make some bags that fit.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:36 am

Yup, what he said :-)

The bags are pretty specific...I think there's a different model for the 2WD with very slightly shorter springs/ride height.

That being said, I don't think you'll need the air bags with the H&R springs, I'd wait and see. Shorter and stiffer springs will likely fix the rear bottoming out as much as the airbags do for stock travel.

You'll love the Bilsteins, mine just get better and better. If you're doing this much work though look into sway bar bushings and Moog end links. That plus lowering should be interesting for improved handling!

robgeo1

Postby robgeo1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanx Shipfixer. I called Daystar and asked about polyurethane sway bushings. The guy said they didn't have them for this model but he said if I took some measurements he can get them to me. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll forgo the bags and go with the Bilsteins and lowering springs.

Tell me about the Moog end links and how they work. Rob

robgeo1

Postby robgeo1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:12 pm

Just went over to Carid.com and found Daystar sway bar bushings and Daystar end links. Does anyone know the size I need??? There are many options.

ShipFixer

Re: reply

Postby ShipFixer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:28 pm

robgeo1 wrote:Just went over to Carid.com and found Daystar sway bar bushings and Daystar end links. Does anyone know the size I need??? There are many options.
The Prothane front sway bar bushings are part number 14-1123. I'll know a suitable replacement size for the rear by this weekend when I get under my truck ;-) The Moog end links are K750037 and K750038 (rear), and K80470 and K80471 (front).

Moog has a really good rep on several Nissan forums. Aside from replacing the worn out OEM part they appear to be a little stouter, and will therefore help resist more body roll.

Sway bars counteract "sway" or body roll by physically connecting the lower bits of the suspension (in this independent case, the lower control arms). When only one wheel has force exerted on it such as in a turn, the sway bar will bend/twist and push it back down, resisting the tendency to roll.

The larger diameter the sway bar, the stiffer the end links, and the stiffer the bushings mounting the thing to the frame the more anti-sway force the bar exerts on the suspension. So stouter Moog links = more better cornering! Also, worn end links will sometimes give you a little bit of a wobble in low speed turns. Mine does this a little bit, I expect the end links to fix it.

Hey, one other thing, while you're ordering the Bilsteins and these other parts make sure you order the rubber strut bushings from Courtesy Nissan for the front upper strut housing. Mine were beat at 67K when I replaced the shocks...one was completely torn. Oh...make sure you order all *four* bushings (one lower, one upper on each strut) and get the "metal and rubber sandwich" put back together correctly. Ask me how I know...

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:55 pm

You should also have a look at your front sway bar mount bushings; these have a tendancy to wear out and spread apart, allowing the bar to contact the frame.

robgeo1

Postby robgeo1 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:18 pm

What a helpful forum. Nice working with you guys. I'm gonna order all that stuff and let you know.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”