2009 Death Valley get together

Regional discussions and Get Together organization Southwest. Wow is it hot states.

Moderator: volvite

User avatar
NVSteve
Sponsored Member
Posts: 1985
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:27 am
Location: Salt Lake City

2009 Death Valley get together

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:23 pm

It's almost that time of year again. It looks like I will tentatively be in Death Valley April 15th-19th, maybe with a day or 2 added on the front or back of those dates. I'm still not 100% certain on the dates since I have a number of other variables & people to deal with, but I'd say I'm 90% sure the dates given will be accurate.

Anyway, I wanted to start the thread as a sort of feeler to find out who might be interested in meeting up in Death Valley again. I started looking at various trails yesterday, but couldn't come up with any concrete ideas. I decided instead to just throw out a bunch of info here and let those who might be interested have a look & voice their thoughts.

Here's a list of trails in DV that seems to be more or less correct as far as descriptions go:

http://www.deathvalley.com/exploring/backcountry.shtml

This one covers everything imaginable, but seems to be not very active:


http://www.death-valley.net/forum/index.php

Here are various videos of Goler Wash & Mengel Pass:

video 1
video 2
video 3
video 4
video 5
video 6
video 7

And one that I found interesting involving the same car I had when I first started driving:

VW Thing

I'll be camping in the Texas Springs Campground, which is just outside Furnace Creek. I'll gladly spare an entire day for just roaming around with fellow members, and if anyone wants to spend more than just a day there, I'll also offer to either show you around some of the touristy things, or point out a number of places to visit, both on & off the beaten path. We had a good group last year & I'm hoping everyone who was there for that will make a return trip this year.

Have a look through the links, think it over a bit, then post your thoughts.


User avatar
NVSteve
Sponsored Member
Posts: 1985
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:27 am
Location: Salt Lake City

Postby NVSteve » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:02 pm

Okay, my dates are set, barring any unforseen drama of some kind. I'm heading down Wed. Apr 15th, and depending on who can make it & when, I'll either head back on Sun. the 19th or Mon. the 20th.

Any interest? Carl, Jim, Rodel? Any others in the CA, AZ, NV area?

User avatar
blink32
Sponsored Member
Posts: 875
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:38 am
Location: World Traveler

Postby blink32 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:41 pm

That looks like way too much fun!

User avatar
rragpaoa
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:23 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Postby rragpaoa » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:53 am

NVSteve wrote:Okay, my dates are set, barring any unforseen drama of some kind. I'm heading down Wed. Apr 15th, and depending on who can make it & when, I'll either head back on Sun. the 19th or Mon. the 20th.

Any interest? Carl, Jim, Rodel? Any others in the CA, AZ, NV area?
Hey Steve,

So far the schedule looks good for me. I do tax preparation as a side business so it will be after April 15th. Most likely the weekend of the 17th to the 19th.

Looking forward to it.

User avatar
NVSteve
Sponsored Member
Posts: 1985
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:27 am
Location: Salt Lake City

Postby NVSteve » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:57 pm

ragpaoa wrote: So far the schedule looks good for me.
Great! Have a look at some of the trail descriptions via the link I posted & let me know what sounds good to you.

User avatar
guinnessjim
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:58 pm
Location: Newport, OR

Postby guinnessjim » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:02 pm

i think my schedule is clear for that....would love to join up w/ you guys again.

User avatar
NVSteve
Sponsored Member
Posts: 1985
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:27 am
Location: Salt Lake City

Postby NVSteve » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:26 am

guinnessjim wrote:i think my schedule is clear for that....would love to join up w/ you guys again.
Cool. Bring the dogs again, but try not to be late this time :) Same thing, have a look at some of the trail descriptions from the link in my first post.

User avatar
guinnessjim
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:58 pm
Location: Newport, OR

Postby guinnessjim » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:05 pm

NVSteve wrote:
guinnessjim wrote:i think my schedule is clear for that....would love to join up w/ you guys again.
Cool. Bring the dogs again, but try not to be late this time :) Same thing, have a look at some of the trail descriptions from the link in my first post.
lol....well, you know the dogs will be in tow. i might try to fit camping into the equation this year...sure to be on time if i wake up in DVNP to begin w/.

i have a different gf now (one that doesn't take so long to get ready :wink:), so even if i leave from LV, i promise to be early.

maybe i can even find a way to get some protection on the pathy by then.

User avatar
NVSteve
Sponsored Member
Posts: 1985
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:27 am
Location: Salt Lake City

Postby NVSteve » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:28 pm

guinnessjim wrote: lol....well, you know the dogs will be in tow. i might try to fit camping into the equation this year...sure to be on time if i wake up in DVNP to begin w/.
The camping is worth it. It's typically the only time of year I drink these days (anytime I leave on vacation at least). For me, it's always been about the heat. I'm almost always seeing snow still at that time of year, and DV is typically the hottest spot in the nation at that time. I'm sure your dogs will love the coyotes at night.
maybe i can even find a way to get some protection on the pathy by then.
The aluminum skids are still on my list, but not close to the top. Have to spend money on other things first, add to that the dismal/iffy economy...

User avatar
guinnessjim
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:58 pm
Location: Newport, OR

Postby guinnessjim » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:37 pm

NVSteve wrote: The camping is worth it. It's typically the only time of year I drink these days (anytime I leave on vacation at least). For me, it's always been about the heat. I'm almost always seeing snow still at that time of year, and DV is typically the hottest spot in the nation at that time. I'm sure your dogs will love the coyotes at night.
if i can make it (the camping part), we will have a few drinks for sure. and the boys love the coyotes....clif still bears the scar from the last time he 'met' one...and he holds a grudge :wink:
The aluminum skids are still on my list, but not close to the top. Have to spend money on other things first, add to that the dismal/iffy economy...
yeah...i feel you there. would at least like to maybe get some sliders on the ride though...that might be do-able.

User avatar
NVSteve
Sponsored Member
Posts: 1985
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:27 am
Location: Salt Lake City

Postby NVSteve » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:02 am

guinnessjim wrote: yeah...i feel you there. would at least like to maybe get some sliders on the ride though...that might be do-able.
You'll have to, because I just KNOW ragpaoa will want to drive up/over 6' boulders, then scale a cliff.

User avatar
NVSteve
Sponsored Member
Posts: 1985
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:27 am
Location: Salt Lake City

Postby NVSteve » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:57 am

1 month to go. Jim & Rodel, are you guys still game? Carl still isn't sure yet, but it would be nice if he could make it as well. Has anyone looked at any of the various options for exploring (the links I posted)?

It sounds like one of the most annoying women of all time will be camping at the same time, probably right next to my campsite. So, I really don't need to be spending any time anywhere near this person. My girlfriend probably won't be going again, but there's still time for that to change. Pretty much everything is up in the air at this point except for the dates, which are definitely set.

User avatar
rragpaoa
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:23 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Postby rragpaoa » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:34 pm

NVSteve wrote:1 month to go. Jim & Rodel, are you guys still game? Carl still isn't sure yet, but it would be nice if he could make it as well. Has anyone looked at any of the various options for exploring (the links I posted)?

It sounds like one of the most annoying women of all time will be camping at the same time, probably right next to my campsite. So, I really don't need to be spending any time anywhere near this person. My girlfriend probably won't be going again, but there's still time for that to change. Pretty much everything is up in the air at this point except for the dates, which are definitely set.
Hey Steve,
Sorry for laggin'. Yup, still game. I promise I'll take a look this weekend.
I'm a tax preparer and I've been busy. Lot of people need their refunds ASAP so they can all move out of the US to New Zealand :?

User avatar
NVSteve
Sponsored Member
Posts: 1985
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:27 am
Location: Salt Lake City

Postby NVSteve » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:14 am

ragpaoa wrote: Lot of people need their refunds ASAP so they can all move out of the US to New Zealand :?
If I either had the money or a decent job offer, I'd move to NZ in the blink of an eye. I absolutely love the south island.

User avatar
guinnessjim
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:58 pm
Location: Newport, OR

Postby guinnessjim » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:22 pm

damn!

i just got slapped w/ some work travel....i leave 4/19. might still be up for playing on saturday, but i no longer think i can swing a camping trip outta this...

PIMA!


Return to “Southwest US”