Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:41 pm

NVSteve wrote:Just got back from Discount Tire. I had them order the 265/75/16 in a C. I could easily be swayed into a 285, but it doesn't seem like anyone here is running the OME & 285 Duratrac E combo to chime in with useful tidbits. I have until next week to change my mind, just in case someone feels they can persuade me into a 285.
New rubber is always a good thing. Bigger rubber is better!

But I see your point. How much real lift do you get out of the OME after it settles down?

t

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:18 pm

disallow wrote: New rubber is always a good thing. Bigger rubber is better!

But I see your point. How much real lift do you get out of the OME after it settles down?
I still have over 2" of lift with my OME after a few years of beating the hell out of it. Lots of room in terms of height, but still not so much on the sides, even if I do the melted plastic mod. Not to mention I don't know if they will rub the frame. I'm thinking the 285 would be fine, but I push the suspension pretty hard when off road & can make my 265s hit now, even with the OME. Decisions, decisions. The one fact that I do know & have been clinging to the most is that I would only gain a hair more than 1/2" of ground clearance by going with a 285. Is the 1/2" worth all the other effort, or not.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:57 am

NVSteve wrote:
disallow wrote: New rubber is always a good thing. Bigger rubber is better!

I still have over 2" of lift with my OME after a few years of beating the hell out of it. Lots of room in terms of height, but still not so much on the sides, even if I do the melted plastic mod. Not to mention I don't know if they will rub the frame. I'm thinking the 285 would be fine, but I push the suspension pretty hard when off road & can make my 265s hit now, even with the OME. Decisions, decisions. The one fact that I do know & have been clinging to the most is that I would only gain a hair more than 1/2" of ground clearance by going with a 285. Is the 1/2" worth all the other effort, or not.
If you don't think it'll rub, I say go for the bigger tire.

When you finally do it, would love to see pics!
t

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:30 pm

I stuck with the 265/75/16s in a C load. One thing I noticed right off is that these are way softer/cushier than Revos or AT KOs. I can understand why all the full size owners are complaining. I could have easily gone with the E load and been fine. Makes me wonder how they'll hold up to rocks & typical off road beatings.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:00 pm

NVSteve wrote:I stuck with the 265/75/16s in a C load. One thing I noticed right off is that these are way softer/cushier than Revos or AT KOs. I can understand why all the full size owners are complaining. I could have easily gone with the E load and been fine. Makes me wonder how they'll hold up to rocks & typical off road beatings.
Did you get the $20 rebate listed on the Goodyear website for these tires?

http://www.goodyeartires.com/cfmx/web/g ... oodyearWeb

Looks good, we got a good dump of snow here too. Lovin the new tires!

t

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:29 pm

disallow wrote: Did you get the $20 rebate listed on the Goodyear website for these tires?
They double the rebate if you charge these to your shiny new Goodyear Citibank Credit card.

How lame.

t

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:34 pm

NVSteve wrote:I stuck with the 265/75/16s in a C load. One thing I noticed right off is that these are way softer/cushier than Revos or AT KOs.
What PSI you going to keep these at? Hard to do a chalk test in this weather... :)

They are max 50, right? If thats the case, my inclination would be to keep em at 35-40ish.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:08 pm

disallow wrote:Did you get the $20 rebate listed on the Goodyear website for these tires?
Right now, they are at 35 psi bone cold. Yeah, the chalk test might have to wait a while. I'd really like to run them at 40 or more to see it might stop the squishy feeling, but I also don't want to have them overinflated & screw up my treadwear.

I'm sending in the $20 Goodyear rebate tomorrow, and the $100 Tread Lightly rebate whenever I receive their membership packet in the mail (cost $25 to join).

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:26 pm

NVSteve wrote:
disallow wrote:Did you get the $20 rebate listed on the Goodyear website for these tires?
Right now, they are at 35 psi bone cold. Yeah, the chalk test might have to wait a while. I'd really like to run them at 40 or more to see it might stop the squishy feeling, but I also don't want to have them overinflated & screw up my treadwear.

I'm sending in the $20 Goodyear rebate tomorrow, and the $100 Tread Lightly rebate whenever I receive their membership packet in the mail (cost $25 to join).
Nice on the rebates... where'd you buy? how much?

Tires have always been way to expensive here in Canada, but I've heard that they are now catching up in the US.

My REV02s (LT265/75/16) came from Costco here in Winnipeg for $890 including installation, taxes, and net a $90 rebate.

t

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:41 am

disallow wrote:Nice on the rebates... where'd you buy? how much?
Mine were a bit over $800, but that's before taxes, disposal fees, installation & replacement certificates. About $1k when everything is added on, not including the $120 in rebates I'll get. Bought from Discount Tire, and only because they seem to have locations all over the place, at least the places I'll be driving.

IcedTeasley

Postby IcedTeasley » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:21 pm

UPDATE:

I thought I'd revive this thread as it has been left for dead by even the Duratrac owners themselves (yup, me too). Maybe no news is good news?

So...

I have 18k+ miles on my tires now and, visually speaking, they still have a lot of tread left. I haven't measured the tread depth lately. If anyone wants to know how much remains, I can post measurements.

I'm still VERY happy with my tires. I have a feeling they will easily make it past the 30,000 mile marker with some life left in them. They work well for how I use my PF and will still buy them again unless something better comes along. I have seen them all over Denver on a huge variety of vehicles from government SUVs to cargo vans to full size trucks to custom crawler rigs that get towed to the designated play area. I get a lot of compliments from owners and non-owners alike. They have served me well so far and I'll continue to recommend them to folks who want an agressive off-road, light truck tire that is great on a daily driver.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:44 pm

IcedTeasley wrote:I have 18k+ miles on my tires now and, visually speaking, they still have a lot of tread left. I haven't measured the tread depth lately. If anyone wants to know how much remains, I can post measurements.
I say post 'em. The more info we have to share, the easier it will be for those looking at this tire. I'll probably post my results when i hit the 10k mark.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:44 pm

These are in the running to replace my OEM tires. Just trying to find a size that will work with my non lifted pathfinder and 18inch wheels. I might need to buy some 17inch rims to get better opitions.

IcedTeasley

Postby IcedTeasley » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:20 pm

14/32nds left after 18,00 miles. That's a loss of 1/8 inch of tread. I'm not sure how that stacks up to other tires. I drive my PF like a rally car and should be on the high end of the wear spectrum.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:37 pm

The only bad part is, I need to find smaller rims. I have an LE and it came with 18s, and the Duratracs come in an 18 but at a 32 inch tire. Don't need to have the tires rubbing.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”