New to the Nissan PF family

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:57 pm

I USED Valvoline Maxlife

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:23 pm

It needs to be Nissan S-matic or equivalent. Valvoline and Castrol both make fluids that meet the specs (according to them). I'm a bit anal about transmission fluid and spend a few bucks extra on the genuine Nissan stuff. Whatever you're comfortable with.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:25 pm

Nissan Type "S" ATF is actually made by Castrol and is the same as Castrol Multi-import ATF. Personally, I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF in a 2008 SE and a 2006 LE without any problems or change in performance and have been doing so for 2 years.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:26 am

smj999smj wrote:Nissan Type "S" ATF is actually made by Castrol and is the same as Castrol Multi-import ATF. Personally, I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF in a 2008 SE and a 2006 LE without any problems or change in performance and have been doing so for 2 years.
What I don't completely understand is how the Castrol Multi-Import can meet both Matic-D and Matic-J (and I assume S) but Nissan still offers D and S separately and at much different pricing. In addition there are postings out there from Nissan that say "Matic-S NOT for other Nissan or Infiniti automatic transmission applications and is NOT interchangeable with Matic-D". I have no doubt Castrol likely makes both Nissan fluids...but it would seem funny that D, S, and the Multi-import were all the exact same fluid.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:56 am

Nissan Type "D" ATF is not the same as Type "S." Nissan Type "D" is actually the original Dexron formula. Dexron and Dexron II are actually a thinner viscosity than Dexron III, which most say they are compatible with Type "D" applications, which is a true to a point. While it is perfectly fine to "top off" the fluid level on a Nissan Type "D" application, it is not recommended to do a complete service using Dexron III. This is because the thicker viscosity Dexron III has been found to cause sticking of the valves inside the valve body in some cases. So, when choosing an ATF for a Type "D" or Dexron/Dexron II applications (like many older Hondas and Toyotas), it is best to use a fluid that is "recommended" for use in Dexron II applications, rather than just state "compatible with" those ATF's. Type "J" and "S" are semi-synthetic ATF's, which is why it is more costly than Type "D." Most synthetic or synthetic based ATF's, like AMSOIL ATF, Castrol Multi-import ATF and Valvoline Maxlife ATF are recommended for use in Nissan Type "D," "J," "S" and "K" applications. There was a good thread on this at Club Frontier's site:

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/t ... c-j-55979/

Castrol Multi-import ATF is known as Castrol Transmax J on other parts of the world. Here is a product sheet you might find interesting:

http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf/2701_ ... 650_03.pdf

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:34 am

Good info, thanks for posting. Maybe I won't be as picky next time...maybe :lol:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:44 am

Well, as I always say, you can't go wrong using genuine Nissan parts! But, since I left Nissan and don't get the employee discount, anymore, and the closest dealer is an hour away, I definitely explore my options a lot more these days! The first time I did a drain and fill using the Maxlife ATF, I got a sick filling in my gut worrying that I would have some transmission issue or would notice something different in the way the trans shifted. Now that I've been using Maxlife ATF in the transmission and transfer case for close to two years in my 06 LE and an 08 SE, I have no problem with using it. In fact, I use the Maxlife in just about every vehicle I service with a few exceptions (Dexron VI and CVT applications, usually). It even works in the Mazda 5-spd. AT used in some Mazda 6's and Ford Fusion that specify Mazda V ATF or Ford's FNR5 ATF, which can be tough to find (my local Ford dealer didn't even stock it). Being half the price of Nissan-matic "S" is a nice bonus!

jlperez3

Postby jlperez3 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:07 pm

Is there any difference between the 4X4 PF and 2WD PF as far as the radiator and the way the coolant cools the transmission fluid. I was looking over it and didn't see or maybe I missed the coolant hoses going to the tranny. All I saw was coolant hoses going to the external cooler. Additionally, what is the best aftermarket radiator in the market, best bang for the buck?

Im so paranoid now that I check my coolant and ATF daily, lol. Found nothing yet.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:06 pm

No difference between 4wd and 2wd. There's a line from the tranny to the bottom of the radiator, then one runs out from there to the external cooler, then one runs out of external cooler and back to the transmission. The by-pass fix disconnects the line coming into the radiator and diverts it straight into the external cooler. I wasn't fond of this fix as it just gives more opportunity for "modified" connections to go bad or basic rubber hoses to fail. I'm not a big fan of rubber lines for transmission fluid. One bum connection or bad rubber hose and you're in bad shape.

I'll let someone else comment on the best aftermarket transmission. Just be sure what you're getting will fit properly and without additional connections....which doesn't get you much further ahead than the by-pass. When I looked at aftermarkets, they all showed the same part number for 2005-2012 and starting in 2008 we all know the connections are different. You could probably make them work but I wanted it exactly right out of the box so I went for the OEM rad.

jlperez3

Postby jlperez3 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:21 pm

Just did the bypass. The 08 PF bypass was different then the 05-07, the cooler is on the driver side so you need about a 2-3 foot hose to make it reach the tranny. Other then that it was pretty simple.
Now is time for a radiator upgrade.

Any thoughts on what brand to get for radiator?
Last edited by jlperez3 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlperez3

Postby jlperez3 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:42 pm

anyone pls help

jlperez3

Postby jlperez3 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:29 am

bump. Any thoughts on radiator brand

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:38 am

Why not go with Nissan?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:40 am

There are several threads around here with brands mentioned. I've not seen anyone (besides me) replace a 2008+ radiator. My concern with the aftermarkets with 2008+ is they all show the same part # for 2005-2012 and as you are aware the 2008+ have different plumbing. I didn't want to chance having to mod the plumbing so I bought OEM. Courtesy Nissan www.courtesyparts.com was around $460 delivered and it was a very easy swap that fit and plumbed perfectly. I called them instead of ordering online as I've found they usually cut you a better deal on shipping.

jlperez3

Postby jlperez3 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:50 am

NmexMAX wrote:Why not go with Nissan?
heard that they are expensive and that the aftermarket ones will fit.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”