painting interior????

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

alyoung

painting interior????

Postby alyoung » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:37 am

Im painting the plastic parts on the inside of my '07 SE but im stuck on what to do about the letters on the shifter piece (RND123) and the cruise control lettering i dont want to lose them. is there any way of painting those parts without painting the letters i woud try tape but theyre so small its almost imposible to do. any advice or opinions would be appreceated. thanks

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:18 am

try using table leg tile protectors
they should be available at any hardware shop.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: painting interior????

Postby NVSteve » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:43 am

alyoung wrote:Im painting the plastic parts on the inside of my '07 SE but im stuck on what to do about the letters on the shifter piece (RND123) and the cruise control lettering i dont want to lose them. is there any way of painting those parts without painting the letters i woud try tape but theyre so small its almost imposible to do. any advice or opinions would be appreceated. thanks
You absolutely need to post some pictures when you get this done. I was thinking about this myself a couple of weeks ago after noticing some of my silver trim had worn away to the black plastic underneath. What type of paint will you be using? I'm wondering if some of that Rustoleum stuff specifically for plastic would work, but am a bit concerned about being able to rub it off. Are you going to sand off the old finish or simply paint over the existing?

alyoung

Postby alyoung » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:13 am

i was considering using the krylon fusion because i have used it on exterior plastic parts on my other car and i figure if it holds up to exterior plastic it should work well on interior i probably wont use primer but imma give each part a light scuff the good thing is the krylon says it bonds to the plastic so it fills real minor scratches the scuff pad will leave then imma probablt give it some clear also krylon fusion im still debating that because i dont want it to be to glossy but lets see i wanna color match to the truck (majestic Blue) but the wife wants it black if i go color match its different kind of paint found some on ebay made by omni-paint but if i go that way i gotta use primer so its still a toss up. probably go black its eaier and if the wifes happy im happy :wink: my only hang up is i dont wanna lose the cruise control lables imma have to find a way to not paint them or maybe buy a some kind lable maker that makes small letters

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:17 pm

alyoung wrote:i was considering using the krylon fusion because i have used it on exterior plastic parts on my other car and i figure if it holds up to exterior plastic it should work well on interior i probably wont use primer but imma give each part a light scuff the good thing is the krylon says it bonds to the plastic so it fills real minor scratches the scuff pad will leave then imma probablt give it some clear also krylon fusion im still debating that because i dont want it to be to glossy but lets see i wanna color match to the truck (majestic Blue) but the wife wants it black if i go color match its different kind of paint found some on ebay made by omni-paint but if i go that way i gotta use primer so its still a toss up. probably go black its eaier and if the wifes happy im happy :wink: my only hang up is i dont wanna lose the cruise control lables imma have to find a way to not paint them or maybe buy a some kind lable maker that makes small letters
Gotcha. I'm looking forward to your results. One idea for the labels would be to use stencils & just use another color of paint for the lettering. I know you can buy them at arts & crafts stores and I know they come in a ton of different sizes. If you don't find anything you like, you could create your own.

alyoung

Postby alyoung » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Thanks i didnt think of the stencils fron craft stores. i was thinking of creating some custom graffiti lettering or caligraphy but we will see. can you tell me how to upload pics here so when the time comes im not stuck.

hollywoodstylin

Postby hollywoodstylin » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:43 am

Another option you can do is not even bother with painting meticulously over the letters or stenciling them in, but get the illuminated steering wheel controls. Here's a how to from an Xterra. I don't know if the Pathfinders are wired the same, but they should be:

Adding Steering Wheel Controls to Xterra

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:29 am

alyoung wrote:Thanks i didnt think of the stencils fron craft stores. i was thinking of creating some custom graffiti lettering or caligraphy but we will see. can you tell me how to upload pics here so when the time comes im not stuck.
You don't actually "upload" to this site. All the pictures you see in the various threads are links to pictures hosted on other sites. All you need is the link/URL to your picture(s) & then insert into a post here. There are a number of free image hosts you can choose from if you don't already use one, such as Flickr, Smugmug, etc. When you insert a picture into a post like this, use either the Img button above your post window, or manually type in Image

About the easiest way to see this in action is to respond to a post that contains pictures & you will see how the pictures were inserted. Here's an example for you. Just hit reply and you'll see how the the image was inserted.

alyoung

Postby alyoung » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:00 am

thanks to all. and hollywood i dont know why but i get nothing when i click the link you gave.

hollywoodstylin

Postby hollywoodstylin » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:10 am

alyoung wrote:thanks to all. and hollywood i dont know why but i get nothing when i click the link you gave.
The site has been down since yesterday.

hollywoodstylin

Postby hollywoodstylin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:31 am

alyoung wrote:thanks to all. and hollywood i dont know why but i get nothing when i click the link you gave.
Site is back up now:

Adding Steering Wheel Controls to Xterra

alyoung

Postby alyoung » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:35 am

thanks hollywood thats the way i would love to go because just like in that thread i plan o changing the amber to blue throughout the interior. i cant seem to find anything on where i could buy the illluminated panel and would you happen to know what the best lights would be to change the amber to blue. thanks

hollywoodstylin

Postby hollywoodstylin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:53 am

alyoung wrote:thanks hollywood thats the way i would love to go because just like in that thread i plan o changing the amber to blue throughout the interior. i cant seem to find anything on where i could buy the illluminated panel and would you happen to know what the best lights would be to change the amber to blue. thanks
I am assuming that your Pathfinder does not come with factory bluetooth. If it did, then I believe you should of already had the illuminated switches. There are basically two versions:

Illuminated cruise control and steering wheel controls WITHOUT bluetooth
Illuminated cruise control and steering wheel controls WITH bluetooth.

As for changing out the LED lights, look at this thread: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f9/g ... wap-52939/. The LED lights are 1206 SMD LEDs. There are 15 of them in the cluster and an additional 3 behind the LCD if you have 4X4. You can even take it up another level:

alyoung

Postby alyoung » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:14 pm

thank you hollywood very cool is that your cluster? no i dont have bluetooth and i dont have or want the radio controls on the left side. would you know if it just plug in to the original harness? what color bulbs did you go with on yours

hollywoodstylin

Postby hollywoodstylin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:15 pm

No, that is not my cluster, but mine is very similar. I went with white LEDs. The blue areas that you see were covered with blue vinyl on the back of the gauges.

Seeing how you don't want the steering controls on the left side, I don't know if it will just plug into the original harness as I have yet to do the mod.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”