Front end rebuild

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

CRC11007

Front end rebuild

Postby CRC11007 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:35 pm

A torn CV boot and worn out ball joint prompted me to overhaul the front end of the rig. With 170k miles, I figured it was due anyway, especially since going to larger tires. I ended up ordering the Mevotech front end kit from RockAuto, along with Timken hubs, Cardone CV axles, and new camber bolts and swaybar bushings from Nissan. I also ordered the steering rack bushing kit from PRG, since I was replacing everything else anyway. Greg at PRG was super friendly and is a great resource for anything suspension related on Nissan trucks. I was pleased with the Mevotech kit, especially with grease fittings on the ball joints, outer tie rods, and swaybar endlinks. It took two full days to do the whole job myself, but it went pretty smoothly. The pinch bolts not the lower ball joint were stubborn, but no match for the torch/sledge/air chisel/PB blaster cocktail. The lower control arm camber bolts had to be cut out (no surprise, except for the replacement $$$). The high-end Diablo sawzall blade is a winner for those. Overall, the front end and steering on the truck feels tight and new. Couldn’t be happier! Maybe I’ll do the rear suspension next year...

NWPathfinder

Re: Front end rebuild

Postby NWPathfinder » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:46 am

Wow Nice work! I'm just about to do the bearings on mine as one is starting to get a little grumbly. 200,000 km figured it was time anyways. Ordered the Timkens and hopefully they will be here soon. I've got two weeks off coming up and should have lots of time to get this done.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:02 pm

My new '08 feels a bit loose.

I been thinking about that as well but according to the CARFAX its has front control arms and bearing already done. :?

Going to do new struts up front and new shocks in rear and see if that cleans it up.
My Tech says front looks fine under there.

NWPathfinder

Postby NWPathfinder » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:01 pm

I did the rear Shocks and Springs this past Fall and it certainly felt more happy on the road. I'd like to do the front shocks/springs but, for now it's bearings, sway bar bushings and rack bushings. See how she feels after that.

New front quick Struts aren't cheap up here.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”