2022 Frontier = R51 Pathfinder Possibilites?

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

TooMuchControl

2022 Frontier = R51 Pathfinder Possibilites?

Postby TooMuchControl » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:49 pm

Interesting to see the 2022 Frontier.

Same Frame
Same suspension
new power steering to update the old for better on center feel (which is big beef I have with my R51).
new hydraulic body mounts to update the old for better vibration and ride...
new interior dash and seats..
new drivetrain that has been matched into the 2020 already.
minor electronics updates assumed as the dash and interior controls are identical.

It appears Nissan has done very little to the frame and suspension and the body panels and interior have been updated on existing cab.

If true, one would surmise that everything from the front interior dash and seating would directly bolt into the R51

How weird would it be for someone debone a 2022+ in the future (perhaps from a salvage unit), to got out and take the new insides, the front body panels and facias along with electronic guts from the newest generation Frontier and throw them into an R51 and just repaint the whole thing to match that cool gun metal grey paint - as a project. I think that vehicle would look unbelievably good if it works.

I think even the new drivetrain swaps in there, and would need some minor re-gearing and driveshaft changes.

Most of this should just bolt in place? I think it's possible given the initial information out there.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: 2022 Frontier = R51 Pathfinder Possibilites?

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:51 pm

TooMuchControl wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:49 pm
If true, one would surmise that everything from the front interior dash and seating would directly bolt into the R51

How weird would it be for someone debone a 2022+ in the future (perhaps from a salvage unit), to got out and take the new insides, the front body panels and facias along with electronic guts from the newest generation Frontier and throw them into an R51 and just repaint the whole thing to match that cool gun metal grey paint - as a project. I think that vehicle would look unbelievably good if it works.
Great thinking!
This is exactly the kind of project I would love to see on TheNissanpath! :wink:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:34 am

A number of 2020 Frontier owners have complained about the new, 9-speed transmission, saying it tends to hunt for gears at low speeds. I'm surprised they didn't use the 7-speed from the Infiniti line. Hopefully, they'll get that worked out.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:35 pm

You know.

I had switched to a Ford Escape as a company car for a short period to time, it drove me mad.
Between a stop sign and the first turn, it seems the damn transmission shifts up 5 times. I wasn't a real fan of it, but as it was a 4 cylinder, this might be a way to gain for performance.

Not sure what they are after with all these "speeds".

I have always found 5 speeds very predictable and comfortable in gearing and could see possibly adding two more to smooth out the transmission to highway speeds. Pun intended.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:09 am

I'm definitely loving the Gen 3 Fronty, that will what I'll be jumping ship to in about 5 years time. I like my first gen as I've always wanted one, but the looks of the Gen 3 has me in love. As usual, I'm not buying the first years and I'll be buying used so I don't get hit with that immediate depreciation of driving the truck off the lot.

I'd love to still get a D40 so I can compare the rear end to see how easy of a swap it is for the rear solid axle onto the R51. I've seen several threads brought up across the Internet about it, but it seems no one has gone through with the attempt or never updated the progress to see how doable it is.

I was hoping Nissan would have brought back the solid rear axle for the 2022 Pathfinder, but alas they disappoint and made it fwd. At least there's talk about Nissan bringing back a small off road suv again. Hopefully, Nissan is smart enough to equip it with front and rear lockers to differentiate itself from the current market of solid rear axles and IFS vehicles available with only a rear locker available.

Return to “R51 General Chat”