$59 for Replacement key with chip! Props!!!

Discuss your dealer buying and servicing experiences here. And just the facts mam, let's keep the libel to a minimum please.

Moderator: volvite

palmerwmd
Site Admin

$59 for Replacement key with chip! Props!!!

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:01 pm

The Nissan dealer charges 80 dollars for the key and 200+ dollars for the programing of a new chipped main key to our vehicles.

I found a local lock shop who did both together, key plus programming for $59 Dollars!!!
So I took two. :D

Props to Virginia Shoe and Lock Service, of Rocky Mount!
Keys work great!

(I deleted their number to protect them from spambots, just do a duckduckgo search for them.)

... you cant do this remotely, the car has to be there for them to work with though.
Even so, for those in Southwestern Virginia in need of replacement keys near Rocky Mount check them out!

They also have a nice selection of Redwing shoes + workboots.

PS: So why did I post this when almost no members ship lives close?
Because I wanted to show folks, especially those on a budget, that the better local lock shops CAN replace your key w/ security chip in it.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: $59 for Replacement key with chip! Props!!!

Postby smj999smj » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:31 pm

Did they make a "clone key" using one of the original keys and making a copy with the identical signal or did they actually make a new key and program all of the keys into the system? Just wondering.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:33 pm

smj999smj wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:31 pm
Did they make a "clone key" using one of the original keys and making a copy with the identical signal or did they actually make a new key and program all of the keys into the system? Just wondering.
I have no idea how they did it.
But they said they need both a good key and the vehicle present to do it.

But while I was waiting a Gent came in who had lost his last good key and they said they could not help him for that reason.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:42 am

Sounds like a "clone key." What they do is they have keys with programable chips in them. They cut the new key to match your old key. They have a device that identifies the signal of the original key's chip and program that signal into the clone key, so it's basically given a signal that the BCM will identify as a registered key, as opposed to cutting a regular replacement key with it's own signal and programming the new key to the BCM.

Return to “Praise or Postal?”