Intake Manifold Power Valve noise ????

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

rch

Intake Manifold Power Valve noise ????

Postby rch » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:58 pm

I’m experiencing a loud annoying noise when accelerating. It resembles spark knock and or a heat shield rattling. If I accelerate slowly or romp on the gas it may not occur. If I let off the gas it stops. One mechanic was able to mimic the noise by holding the break and revving the engine to approximately 1800 rpm but he wasn’t sure what it could be, he also checked all heat shields he could find. Also if it’s really cold it doesn’t usually do it until the engine is at full operating temperature. Motor mounts were recently replaced. If nothing else the sound is very annoying.
So as usual I was on YouTube and another Nissan owner suggested it was the intake manifold power valve.

silverarrow27

Re: Intake Manifold Power Valve noise ????

Postby silverarrow27 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:37 pm

I don't have the slightest clue. Maybe post up your own video of what you're hearing and experiencing for someone more familiar with the Pathy can help. The only thing I can think of is one of your catalytic converters turned to mush and the 'honey comb' is being tossed around while driving?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:49 pm

rch wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:58 pm
I’m experiencing a loud annoying noise when accelerating. It resembles spark knock and or a heat shield rattling. If I accelerate slowly or romp on the gas it may not occur. If I let off the gas it stops. One mechanic was able to mimic the noise by holding the break and revving the engine to approximately 1800 rpm but he wasn’t sure what it could be, he also checked all heat shields he could find. Also if it’s really cold it doesn’t usually do it until the engine is at full operating temperature. Motor mounts were recently replaced. If nothing else the sound is very annoying.
So as usual I was on YouTube and another Nissan owner suggested it was the intake manifold power valve.
You don't mention what year your Pathy is, but there were problems with the VIAS actuator on some 2005 Pathfinders and a Nissan TSB was released regarding the repair of it for Nissan service techs. The problem is that the parts info is intended for a bulk number of repairs and not specifically one repair. You can purchase the parts to repair it from the local auto parts store to do the fix, but many opt to just replace the VIAS, instead. I think they run around $60-ish?

rch

Postby rch » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:41 am

smj999smj wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:49 pm
rch wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:58 pm
You don't mention what year your Pathy is, but there were problems with the VIAS actuator on some 2005 Pathfinders and a Nissan TSB was released regarding the repair of it for Nissan service techs. The problem is that the parts info is intended for a bulk number of repairs and not specifically one repair. You can purchase the parts to repair it from the local auto parts store to do the fix, but many opt to just replace the VIAS, instead. I think they run around $60-ish?
it's a 2008

daytona675

Postby daytona675 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:52 pm

My 2008 had the same issue. I know the TSB was for 05-06 models, but around 120-130k miles, it was annoying-like spark knock or timing chain rattles. It would present under a light load accel, around 2400-3000 rpms if memory serves. I had my wife modulate the throttle while I had it on jack stands and I traced it to that pesky valve (the old screwdriver/stethoscope method). The TSB 'repair' using a special 3M plastic epoxy mix would cost nearly as much as a new valve, plus the time and aggravation of getting it right. Check the 3 rubber vacuum hoses, they may just be dry rotted and not letting the power valve modulate. but if all of that checks out, replace the valve. I'm at 194k now, and it's quiet as a mouse. All my noises now are from the AFE shorty headers, K&N intake & Gibson Cat-back!!!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:29 pm

I also have a 2008 and get an odd noise under partial throttle only.
More like a rasp though.
It is a V8 however, so not sure if the VIAS TSB applies.

Had my shop look at it ( not a Nissan shop but a decent independent) and they said no cracked manifolds or exhaust leak.
They did find a whole bunch of loose clapms on exhaust system/heatshields though which they are replacing shortly.
Hopefully that will take care of the noise, if not, then we know it might be this.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”