Broken transmission cooler

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

lebowski

Broken transmission cooler

Postby lebowski » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:44 pm

For the last months I found some small drops of oil under te car. I suspected the rubber gasket behind the engine oil cooler. Today started to work on it. After removing the engine under shields it was obvious that the lower connection of the transmission cooler was leaking. First thought was that the hose was a bit loose but after a bit of fiddling with it the tube broke of completely.
transmission_cooler.jpg
transmission_cooler_zoom.jpg
transmission_cooler_zoom.jpg (81.66 KiB) Viewed 1050 times
The car has now 168k km. Is this normal? I haven't heard of this issue before. I've been lucky it didn't rupture while driving, that would have been fatal to the transmission.

To be clear: this is not the radiator/transmission cross contamination issue. I've bypassed the radiator.

mmh, found a spare at a salvage yard. For once parts of the diesel cars are interchangeable!
https://www.onderdelenlijn.nl/auto-onde ... /14806320/

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Broken transmission cooler

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:00 pm

I am glad you clarified right away its not the SMOD issue thats the first thing I was worried about when I read your headline.
Especially given where you live.

Its not all that common, even though yours looks bigger than what I seem to remember.
And I no longer have a V6 model to check.

Are you in Italia or in Nederland?

lebowski

Postby lebowski » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:02 am

palmerwmd wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:00 pm
I am glad you clarified right away its not the SMOD issue thats the first thing I was worried about when I read your headline.
Especially given where you live.
Yes, sourcing a replacement transmission would be a big problem.
Its not all that common, even though yours looks bigger than what I seem to remember.
And I no longer have a V6 model to check.
https://nissan-europe.epc-data.com/path ... 10/21305Y/
Interesting, even the drawing shows a smaller cooler. Maybe the eurospec cars have default what the us has as a 'tow option/pack'? My car is rated to a towing capacity of 3000kg.

Will contact the salvage yard tomorrow.

lebowski

Postby lebowski » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:44 pm

and solved! The one from the salvage yard had the same issue. So I found an alu cooler repair shop at 1-1/2 hr. drive. They welded a new tube. And tada!
oilcooler_repaired.jpg
As I found out on a german forum this failure is quite common, but apparantly only one eurospec models. With obvious catastrophic failures.
For future reference, if you want a big stock transmission cooler look for partnr. 21606EB405 . 100 euro from china.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:26 pm

All is well that ends well!! :lol:

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”