Brake Squeal!

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

kckranz

Brake Squeal!

Postby kckranz » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:22 am

I have the quintessential brake squeal, but only when "inching along" in traffic (just before actually stopping). All 4 sets of brake pads have, I would say, at least 80% of usable surface remaining. I pulled all pads and associated hardware (dust shield) cleaned and greased everything but the actual pad surface itself, including;

1. Between the pads and shims,
2. Between the shims and caliper (both the piston and "fingers")
3. Between the dust shield and caliper
3. Between the dust shield and pad

The squeal remains after all this (at exactly the same time, pitch, etc) and the brake dust has been removed during a car wash. Any thoughts on a next step? I belive the brake pads might have been replaced by CarMax when we took ownership - if that is the case we did not do any brake "break-in".

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:02 am

i had the same problem. also bought mine from carmax. it eventually went away after a little while of easy braking. you might want to either sand the pads slightly with some sand paper or resurface the rotors. good luck.

Npath

Postby Npath » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:47 am

To the initial post of this thread...

I get a squeak from the brakes when they're cold. It goes away after I back out of my driveway. I've been told some brake materials will do that so I won't be worrying about it. Not sure if your brakes are the exact same way.

kckranz

Brake Squeal!

Postby kckranz » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:58 am

My brakes do this all the time - at every stop hot or cold. I'm trying to determine why the brakes would squeal exclusively just before coming to a complete stop - what is happening mechanically and how is the pad seated (or not?) to the disc at that specific time?

Npath

Re: Brake Squeal!

Postby Npath » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:24 pm

kckranz wrote:My brakes do this all the time - at every stop hot or cold. I'm trying to determine why the brakes would squeal exclusively just before coming to a complete stop - what is happening mechanically and how is the pad seated (or not?) to the disc at that specific time?
I don't know then. My 95 Pathfinder brakes were squeaking all the time till this year. Funny thing is it went away on it's own.

If it's really bothering you, maybe switch to ceramic brake pads and shoes. I've heard they give off little dust and last longer than other brands. Also last longer too.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”