Old girl suspension woes

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Old girl suspension woes

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:36 pm

The work of putting on a new subframe assembly is actually pretty straightforward if you have a lift and the tool. Its only 6 bolts if memory serves.

I never put mine on because being from the rust belt the first bolt we tried simply wouldn't come out and being its a boxed frame we couldn't risk is breaking off as there would be no easy way short of cuting into the frame to fix that.
That one bolt was partway out before we even tried.
So the spot that bolt was to secure we welded on.

I still have that bran new uninstalled subframe lining around.
No idea if they will take it back, its been many weeks.

0856Beater

Postby 0856Beater » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:05 am

Months later and still have rear alignment issues? Genuine Nissan coil buckets and Moog coils, my alignment done myself with toe maxed is still 1.5 degrees. Considering having a frame shop weld on new tabs to add a bit of adjustment, the thing isn't even lifted yet. Replacing lower and upper control arms first since they are already sitting in the garage. Cut through the bolts and hammer out the bushings, that is the plan. Let's see how well it works.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:55 pm

Had problems with rear alignment for three years. Wore out tires.

Last week,

Rear:
chopped out rear lower forward, and rear lower rearward control arms
all 4 cambers seized.
all new bolts installed.

Front
replaced all upper and lower controls arms from a 2019 Frontier. ~200 USD. Truck had like 10K on it. Parts were like new.
1 camber bolt seized.

Inner tie rods replaced - passenger's side was shot.

I'm prone to go to a recycler to get Nissan parts from a late late Frontier if possible. I've been extremely happy - and everything fits like factory of course.

Tips:
Good gad. Get a carbide blade or better if doing the chopping. EVERYTHING else will have you cussin like a mad hatter.

If Budget and inspections allow:
Check the back, where the the front driveshaft plate meets the front hub.
If the flange is rusty / if there is any rust there - the hubs might be out of grease. It was a tell for me when I looked at mine earlier this year. Both hubs were dry as a bone.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”