Squeaky and jerky steering wheel when cold

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

labsy

Squeaky and jerky steering wheel when cold

Postby labsy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:35 pm

Hi guyz,

during winter I noticed that when cold starting in the morning first few turns of steering wheel are extremely squeaky, jerky and like servo is hesitating to kick in or not. So sometimes it was quite hard to take off from parking, as I simply was not able to turn wheels to make first turn. It helped to rev it up a bit during first turns, but had to apply some breaks to slow down at the same time. It was quite a rally startup sometimes, lol.

So, what I did was to completely flushed/changed steering fliud. Pumped it out with syringe, went deep into both hoses to really empty everything out, then I took out steering floud cannister, washed and brushed it, so now it's like new, shiny. Added fresh DEXRON III fluid, went few turns from left to right and it seems to resolve the issue.

BUT a week or two later, when freezing mornings came back, issue also came back. It is so jerky and hesitating upon first start, that I can barely make first few turns.

Then I changed longer drive belt, which runs also power steering pump. Also seemd to resolve the issue...
..but again, with lower morning temperatures issue returns.

Checked for leaks - none.
Any idea?

MAYBE RELATED: I past year or so I found vehicle driving quite unsecure past 18-wheelers or over some lateral bumps in highway. It was like driving a small boat in stormy weather. So I changed whole set of struts and springs in front and back for OME set, then went TWICE for proper adjustment, and technicians say it is all 100% properly installed...but vehicle is still like a boat on croswinds or lateral bumps at higher speeds. MAybe is this related to steering wheel problems? Despite that I do NOT feel any loose components related to steering, and also it does not feel like having any loose or play on steering wheel.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”