Alternator questions

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

ShipFixer

Alternator questions

Postby ShipFixer » Mon May 03, 2021 11:51 am

Alternator died, trying to get the old one out and the electrical section of the FSM isn't one I downloaded from the old site. From YouTube videos...how many bolts hold the alternator in, just two, or is there a third? I've removed the two (long and short), but some people reference a third, and it's not clear from the parts diagram online that there isn't a third on some kind of alignment arm.

Tried tapping on it with a hammer with both bolts out...doesn't move...

ShipFixer

Re: Alternator questions

Postby ShipFixer » Mon May 03, 2021 11:54 am

Whoops...went back and looked and my hammer taps did drop it out of the bracket I just didn't notice :lol:

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon May 03, 2021 12:31 pm

Ok new question...should I be able to wiggle this thing out through the wheel well without removing the fan shroud, etc? Seems like everyone on the Frontier forums can do it that way. I can't find a way to squeeze it out though.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon May 03, 2021 9:54 pm

I shifted the shroud out of the way without disconnecting the fan (because obviously...the belt is already out) and got the old one out. New one is about to go in next. Sure would have been nice if the other forums said "OBTW the shroud is in the way," I just dont believe they removed the alternator with it in place via the wheel well.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Tue May 04, 2021 2:30 am

And of course...it whines. I'll order a Nissan alternator and do this all over again soon :-|

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Tue May 04, 2021 2:09 pm

Whines a little less today with the battery topping off, but it's still there. Will try a new belt and see if I get lucky. If not, I'll drive this for a while then replace with a Nissan/Hitachi OEM alternator.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu May 06, 2021 6:48 am

I feel kinda bad. No one has posted in your thread .. :oops:

I didnt have any alternator answers so I didn't click on it, probably same reasons others didnt :D

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Thu May 06, 2021 4:59 pm

Oh, it is what it is, I don't think these fail very often going by the forums. The guys who complain about them are the wheeling crowd who hate that it's down low where it might get waterlogged :lol:

I will say the probable cause of mine finally dying was the thick, sludgy coat of oil it had from the valve covers. I really let that go too long, and a lot more oil can come out those than you'd think!

The one thing all the forum guides just didn't show in their images is where the fan shroud was while they removed the alternator. They say things like "move whatever hoses and interferences you need to" so I now assume they all did something like what I did to displace the shroud an inch or two towards the driver side. I just wish they'd specifically mentioned it up front so I could pull the fan and whatnot off while the belt was on, or at least leave myself enough room in the garage to comfortably get the skid plate off. I was able to move the shroud without any of that, but reinstalling it into its tabs at the bottom, by reaching down from the top of the engine compartment and inside the right fender, is a challenge.

Also...wish I'd waited a day to see if I could get an OEM new alternator from Nissan, as I didn't get to reinstall until later anyways. But this remanufactured unit was the only one I could find in town on a Sunday and I needed to be able to move my truck relatively soon. Still need to try the fan belt but I don't think the one I have on there is too old.

Return to “R51 Electrical”