2008 good battery no dash lights won't start

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

HazmatikNC

2008 good battery no dash lights won't start

Postby HazmatikNC » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:37 am

Got in my Pathfinder this morning and turned the key and it didn't start, none of the dash lights came on, the screen didn't come on either, windows wouldn't work either, the dome lights and horn were the only electrical things working. Took the battery to have it tested after trying to jump start it from our Sentra to no avail and they said it was good with 100% charge. I'm at a loss for ideas as to what is going on, any suggestions?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: 2008 good battery no dash lights won't start

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:07 am

So it did not start when you tried to jump it?
That does indeed point to a problem other than battery.

I dont want to speculate and will wait for SMJs input on this

HazmatikNC

Postby HazmatikNC » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:36 pm

Jumping did nothing, does the R51 have some sort of anti-theft mode? I ask because last night I set off the panic button to scare off a group of shady looking people standing near it and then this morning had this issue occur and it seems like something that would happen if an anti-theft mode was activated somehow.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:04 pm

HazmatikNC wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:36 pm

1)Jumping did nothing, does the R51 have some sort of anti-theft mode?

2) I ask because last night I set off the panic button to scare off a group of shady looking people standing near it and then this morning had this issue occur and it seems like something that would happen if an anti-theft mode was activated somehow.
1) It does, but it is connection to the ignition.
The rest of the dash lights would still come on even if the car (for some reason) could not read your key chip.

2) It appear unrelated IF your security system is stock.

HazmatikNC

Postby HazmatikNC » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:42 pm

Just updating with everything I have checked.

-Had battery tested, was good and at 100% charge.

-Checked every fuse, had a bad 20a fuse for the "power socket" replaced it and nothing changed

-Checked ignition switch relay, was good

-Visually checked fusible links on positive battery terminal, all appear good.

-Inspected wires and connections to starter and to the ignition switch, no corrosion or other issues.

-Scanned with OBD II scanner and there were no codes

Things that have power:
-Dome lights
-Horn
-Door locks
-Headlights, taillights, and turn signals
-Dash backlight

Things that don't have power:
-Dash lights (gas, CEL, ABS, etc.) Except the security light comes on(red car w/key inside it)
-Gauges and odometer
-Starter
-Power windows & sunroof
-Power mirrors
-HVAC
-info screen/radio
-Windshield wipers

HazmatikNC

Postby HazmatikNC » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:26 pm

Problem has been diagnosed thanks to rain, water was leaking in the drivers side floor still not sure where from but it appears to have damaged the immobilizer unit or the wiring harness as I moved some wires around and things flickered was eventually able to get it to start but I need to find where it's leaking and replace that unit probably, I'm pretty sure that is a dealer visit isn't it?

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:33 pm

Glad you figured out the issue. As for the leak, the only thing I can think of is your rubber seal around the door window or the windshield. Perhaps sunroof seal too?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:31 pm

HazmatikNC wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:26 pm
Problem has been diagnosed thanks to rain, water was leaking in the drivers side floor still not sure where from but it appears to have damaged the immobilizer unit or the wiring harness as I moved some wires around and things flickered was eventually able to get it to start but I need to find where it's leaking and replace that unit probably, I'm pretty sure that is a dealer visit isn't it?
Wow that's interesting cause.
I once had rain get into the MAF of a Nissan and had goofy symptoms but never as bad as yours.

HazmatikNC

Postby HazmatikNC » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:28 am

Had it towed to the dealer and it turned out to be a bad wire in the harness to the ignition. They quoted around $4000 to replace the harness, but offered the option of running a separate wire for a total of $750, but $350 of that was the 2 hours of diagnostics. So obviously I said run a separate wire.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:22 am

HazmatikNC wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:28 am
Had it towed to the dealer and it turned out to be a bad wire in the harness to the ignition. They quoted around $4000 to replace the harness, but offered the option of running a separate wire for a total of $750, but $350 of that was the 2 hours of diagnostics. So obviously I said run a separate wire.
Interesting.
Could you post a snap of the diagnostic results sheet they gave you?

Return to “R51 Electrical”