How far do I go with a timing chain replacement

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

NRK

How far do I go with a timing chain replacement

Postby NRK » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:01 am

I've got a 2005 Pathfinder with about 150k on the odometer. It's been an incredibly reliable and robust vehicle. There have been maintenance items like various sensors, but nothing outrageous. I replaced the radiator with a CSF unit as a precautionary measure, and rebuilt the chassis and suspension a couple of years ago before a trip up to Tuktoyaktuk. Recently I started noticing a bit of a whine in the engine at idle. I can't hear it when I'm in the truck driving, but I notice it in a drive through or when I'm parking in a garage with the window down. Originally I thought it was the alternator, but that was wishful thinking. I'm pretty sure it's the timing chain whine.

So my question for some of the more experienced members on the board, is how far do I go when replacing the timing chains and tensioners? It's a massive job, and I'm comfortable tackling it because I can take my time. In doing all that work though, is it worth taking care of other items while the front of the engine is torn down? The water pump is pretty obvious, but what about replacing the starter motor while it's out of there, or the power steering pump? It feels like in this case the cost of extra parts is relatively manageable compared to the time involved in actually doing the job. Am I being overly conservative? Where should I draw the line?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: How far do I go with a timing chain replacement

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:24 pm

You don't have to remove the starter motor, so I wouldn't bother with that. If the power steering pump is working and not leaking, I'd leave that, as well. The minimum you need is listed in the TSB, which is essentially the upper chains, tensioner faces for the upper chain tensioners, grey RTV sealant, oil and filter, coolant and the required seals for the front cover. If you get a kit that has the whole, upper tensioners, be advised that in order to replace them (rather than just the tensioner faces), one has to remove the rear timing cover, which adds more work to the job. If you don't have the tool to lock the crank in place, you'll also need to do extra work in the form of removing the upper plenum, timing actuators and valve covers, so you'll want to get the plenum gasket, valve cover gaskets and valve timing actuator gaskets. At that point, you may want to consider replacing the spark plugs, if due, the PCV valve and maybe installing an XTP plenum spacer, if you want one and haven't done so, already. Some might also consider, at that point, replacing the cam sensor on the back of the right bank head since the plenum is out of the way. For me, the water pump and thermostat are a no-brainer; I would stick with Nissan or OE parts. Consideration should be given to the serpentine belt and tensioner if they have 70,000 or more miles on them, or are close to it. Radiator hoses are optional; Gates makes the OE parts. They usually don't do much wear to the chain guides, but I would replace the primary chain tensioner and the primary timing chain, as well, if only to get a clear set of links for the timing procedure. Last, but not least, I would get a gasket kit for the oil gallery cover gaskets on the front of the rear timing cover, which have been known to fail on some:

https://conceptzperformance.com/czp-rea ... _31978.php

Return to “General Automotive”